Chicken Parmesan Meatball Skillet is a quick and easy weeknight meal. The meatballs are gluten-free and cooked right in the sauce. This not only saves time but produces the most tender chicken meatballs you will ever have! Make your own marinara sauce (recipe included) or use your favourite store-bought brand to make it come together even faster!
These meatballs are delicious served over pasta or with crusty bread. If you are going more low-carb, try them over zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice, or with Sauteed Lemon Garlic Kale or Roasted Cabbage with Bacon and Balsamic.
Ingredients and Substitutions
For a full list of ingredients and quantities see the recipe card below.
- Ground chicken - use ground turkey, beef, pork, or a combination.
- Tomato passata - use one can of purèed whole tomatoes.
- Homemade marinara sauce - use your favourite store bought version.
- Mozzarella cheese - skip the mozzarella all together or substitute with Monteray jack or mild cheddar.
- Fresh basil - 2 teaspoon of dried basil can be used instead.
How to make this recipe
Step 1 - Mix together the meatball ingredients then shape into balls using a 1 ½ to 2-inch scoop or your hands. Keep covered in the fridge until ready to use.
Step 2 - Preheat your oven to 400 ° F. Prepare the sauce by heating olive oil in your skillet then gently sautèing the onion, garlic, oregano, and chili flakes. Add the tomato purèe and basil. Stir and bring to a gentle simmer for 5 minutes.
Step 3 - Add all the meatballs to the sauce. Bring to a gentle simmer then transfer to the oven to bake for 10 minutes. Turn the meatballs and continue baking for another 10 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through. You can check this by cutting one in half or checking the internal temperature is 165°F. Remove from oven and turn the broiler to high, making sure the rack is in the center position.
Step 4 - Top the meatballs with grated mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, then place under the broiler for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling.
Hint: Take the guesswork out of knowing if your meat is cooked with my favourite Quick-Read Thermometer by Thermoworks.
You could really spruce up this recipe by adding in some of your favorite vegetables right to the pan. Add mushrooms, zucchini, or bell peppers to the onions after they become soft. Adding in some chopped spinach or kale can help you get in extra leafy greens with minimal effort! Try serving them over Creamy Cauliflower and Celery Root Puree for an elegant dinner with guests.
Any oven-proof skillet will work but my go-to is a 12" Cast-Iron Skillet to provide an even heat while it's baking in the oven. Cast iron pans are very versatile and a great addition to any kitchen.
Store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for 3-4 days. Reheat in the oven, on the stovetop or in the microwave.
These meatballs freeze beautifully in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat as mentioned above.
Don't overmix the meatball mixture. Start by using a fork to combine then get your hands in there and mix it gently until everything is combined.
Chicken Parmesan Meatball Skillet
For the meatballs
- 454 g ground chicken (1 lb)
- ¼ large onion, finely diced, plus more for sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced, plus more for sauce
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated, plus more for topping
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped or 2 tablespoon dried
- 1 egg
For the marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ large white or yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red chili flakes, more or less to your taste
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon fresh basil chopped, or 2 teaspoon dried
- 1 680 ml jar strained tomato passata or one can whole tomatoes ((3 cups)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- Fresh basil, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a large bowl combine ground chicken, onion, garlic, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, ½ cup Parmesan cheese, parsley, and egg. Mix gently until combined. Don't overmix.
- Using a scoop or a large soup spoon, shape into 1 ½ - 2-inch balls. Place the meatballs on a plate and set them aside in the refrigerator.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Sautee onion for 4-5 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add garlic, oregano and chili flakes. Stir and continue cooking and stirring for 1 minute.
- Add tomato puree and basil. Stir together and bring to a gentle simmer. Continue simmering gently for 5 minutes.
- Add prepared meatballs to pan and place in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully flip meatballs. Return to oven and bake for another 10 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through. Check this by cutting one in half or with a thermometer reading 165° F.
- Remove from oven and turn the broiler to high. Make sure the oven rack is in the center position.
- Top the meatballs with 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese and finish with ¼ cup Parmesan. Place under the broiler for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Sprinkle fresh, chopped basil on top (if using), and serve.