Chicken Parmesan Meatballs is a quick and easy weeknight meal. The meatballs are gluten-free and cooked right in the sauce. This not only saves time but produces the most tender chicken meatballs you will ever have!
These meatballs are delicious served over pasta or with crusty bread. If you are going more low-carb, try them over zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice, or with Sauteed Lemon Garlic Kale or Roasted Cabbage with Bacon and Balsamic.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Easy to Make: Chicken Parmesan meatballs come together in a snap making this a perfect recipe for a busy weeknight.
Perfect for Meal Prep: Both the meatballs and the sauce can be prepared in advance. That way you can have dinner on the table in no time.
Crowd Pleasing: Chicken Parmesan is a classic favorite for many, and this skillet version takes the elements people love about the traditional dish and presents them in a fun and new way.
Versatile: Chicken parmesan meatballs can be served on their own or with various sides like pasta, rice, or a simple salad. This versatility allows you to customize meals based on personal preferences.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Ground chicken - Or you can use ground turkey, beef, pork, or a combination.
- Tomato passata - Or you can use one can of purèed whole tomatoes.
- Homemade marinara sauce - use your favourite store bought version to make this come together even more quickly.
- Mozzarella cheese - Feel free to skip the mozzarella all together or substitute with Monteray jack or mild cheddar.
- Fresh basil - 2 teaspoons of dried basil can be used instead.
For a complete list of ingredients see the recipe card below.
You could really spruce up this recipe by adding in some of your favorite vegetables right to the pan. Add mushrooms, zucchini, or bell peppers to the onions after they become soft. Adding in some chopped spinach or kale can help you get in extra leafy greens with minimal effort! Try serving them over Creamy Cauliflower and Celery Root Puree for an elegant dinner with guests.
How to Make Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
Step 1 - Mix together the meatball ingredients then shape into balls using a 1 ½ to 2-inch scoop or your hands. Keep covered in the fridge until ready to use.
Step 2 - Fry onions, garlic and spices in a deep, oven-proof frying pan.
Step 3 - Add the tomato purèe and basil. Stir and bring to a gentle simmer for 5 minutes.
Step 4 - Add all the meatballs to the sauce. Bring to a gentle simmer then transfer to the oven to bake for 10 minutes.
Step 5 - Flip the meatballs and return to the oven for another 10 minutes or until they are cooked through.
Step 5 - Top the meatballs with grated mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, then place under the broiler for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling.
For detailed instructions see the recipe card below.
Chilling the meatballs in the fridge helps hold them together while they are cooking.
Don't overmix the meatballs. Start by using a fork to combine then get your hands in there and mix it gently until everything is combined. This helps to keep the chicken meatballs tender.
Use a thermometer: Take the guesswork out of knowing if your meat is cooked with my favourite Quick-Read Thermometer by Thermoworks.
If you don't want to use the oven simply place a lid on top of the pan and simmer gently. A gentle simmer is important to not reduce the sauce too much.
While the egg helps bind the meatballs, you can try omitting it or substituting with a flaxseed or chia seed "egg". The texture may be slightly different.
Yes, you can adjust the spice level by adding more crushed red chili flakes or a dash of hot sauce to the marinara sauce.
Yes, you can substitute ground turkey or beef based on your preferences. Keep in mind that it will alter the flavor and texture of the meatballs.
Yes, you can prepare the meatballs in advance and refrigerate them. This can be a time-saving option for busy schedules.
Yes, you can freeze the uncooked meatballs for later use. Place them on a baking sheet to freeze individually before transferring to a freezer bag.
More One-Pot Chicken Recipes
Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
For the meatballs
- 454 g ground chicken (1 lb)
- ¼ large onion, finely diced, plus more for sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated, plus more for topping
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped or 2 tablespoon dried
- 1 egg
For the marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ large white or yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red chili flakes, more or less to your taste
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon fresh basil chopped, or 2 teaspoon dried
- 1 680 ml jar strained tomato passata or one can whole tomatoes ((3 cups)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- Fresh basil, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a large bowl combine ground chicken, onion, garlic, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, ½ cup Parmesan cheese, parsley, and egg. Mix gently until combined. Don't overmix.454 g ground chicken (1 lb), ¼ large onion,, 1 clove garlic,, ½ cup mozzarella cheese,, ½ cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping, ¼ cup fresh parsley,, 1 egg
- Using a scoop or a large soup spoon, shape into 1 ½ - 2-inch balls. Place the meatballs on a plate and set them aside in the refrigerator.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Sautee onion for 4-5 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add garlic, oregano and chili flakes. Stir and continue cooking and stirring for 1 minute.2 tablespoon olive oil, ½ large white or yellow onion,, 4 cloves garlic,, ½ teaspoon dried oregano, ¼ teaspoon crushed red chili flakes,
- Add tomato puree, salt, and basil. Stir together and bring to a gentle simmer. Continue simmering gently for 5 minutes.2 tablespoon fresh basil, 1 680 ml jar strained tomato passata or one can whole tomatoes ((3 cups), ½ teaspoon salt
- Add prepared meatballs to pan and place in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully flip meatballs. Return to oven and bake for another 10 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through. Check this by cutting one in half or with a thermometer reading 165° F.
- Remove from oven and turn the broiler to high. Make sure the oven rack is in the center position.
- Top the meatballs with 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese and finish with ¼ cup Parmesan. Place under the broiler for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling.1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese,, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle fresh, chopped basil on top (if using), and serve.Fresh basil,