Move over mashed potatoes, there's a new, classier version in town! I'm serious when I say you may never make mashed potatoes again once you try this recipe for creamy cauliflower & celery root puree. It's lighter, more flavourful, and more nutritious than potatoes and comes together in no time!
I am the biggest mashed potato fan but I honestly, can't get enough of this puree! My husband almost fell off his chair when I said I may never make mashed potatoes again. Me, the girl who used to eat a bowl of mashed potatoes, with nothing else but butter, for dinner when she was in collage (and that was Chef's school to boot!).
What is Celery root (celeriac)?
It's likely one of those things you have seen in the produce section and wondered "what the heck is that" It's a gnarly looking root that you would never guess is so delicious!
In a nut shell, celery root (celeriac) is just that...the root of the celery plant. It has an earthy, sweet and slightly celery flavour and is easy to store and very versatile. It's also low in carbs for a root vegetable and packed with nutrients. It's high in fiber, and a good source of vitamins and minerals including antioxidants, making it beneficial for gut health.
Try to choose ones that have a heavy, firm feel. Also, the smoother it is the easier it will be to peel. A regular vegetable peeler should work but you may need to use a paring knife on some of the more bumpy parts.
Ingredients for this recipe
- Celery root (celeriac)
- Cream or milk
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley and dried chili flakes (optional)
Cauliflower & celery root - you can make this recipe using all cauliflower or celery root.
Cream or milk - use your favourite non-dairy milk or cream or vegetable or chicken stock. This puree can also be made without adding any extra liquid. It will be thicker and not quite as creamy.
Butter - vegan butter or olive oil work well or you can add extra milk or cream.
Can I use frozen cauliflower? - Yes absolutely! Be sure to drain it really well after steaming as it will retain more water. You can dry it out further by putting it back in the pot after draining. Place it on a medium-high burner and shake or stir until cauliflower dried out.
How to make it
- Prep. and cook the celery root and cauliflower. Celery root is peeled, cut into chunks and boiled the same way you cook potatoes.
- Steam the cauliflower. When making a puree I like to steam the cauliflower. This way it is less watery so you spend less time draining it and drying it out. However, if you are boiling it, it can be added to the celery root after 10 minutes and everything drained together.
- Melt the butter. Add everything to a food processor, blender, or use a hand blender to puree everything to a smooth and creamy consistency. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and chili flakes (optional).
Cauliflower and celery root puree with keep, covered, in the fridge for 5 days.
What can I serve it with?
This puree can replace mashed potatoes wherever you might use them but also makes a delicious and elegant side dish to any meal!
- RED WINE BRAISED SHORT RIBS
- PORK MEDALLIONS IN CREAMY MUSHROOM SAUCE
- TEMPEH AND ROASTED CHICKPEA CURRY
- HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN THIGHS
Creamy Cauliflower and Celery Root Puree
- food processor, blender, or hand blender
- 1 lb cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 lb celery root, peeled and cut into 1 ½” cubes
- ½ cup cream or milk
- 2-3 tablespoon butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium sized pot bring 4-5 cups of water to a boil. Enough to submerge the celery root. Add a punch (about 1 tbsp.) of salt. Boil celery root for 20-25 minutes or until very tender.
- Bring a small amount of water to a boil in a steamer pot for the cauliflower. Steam cauliflower for 10-15 minutes or until soft and tender.
- Strain the vegetables and place in a food processor or blender. Add the cream, butter and salt. Puree until smooth. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with freshly chopped parsley and/or chili flakes (optional).
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate. When ready to serve, reheat in the microwave adding garnishes before serving.