Cowboy Soup is soon to be your new favourite recipe. It's a complete meal that comes together in less than 30 minutes using ingredients you may already have on hand!
Cowboy Soup is like hamburger soup and chili are having a party and you're invited! It's hearty and nutrient rich providing you with everything you need in one, easy to prepare, dish. The whole family is going to love this one so make a big batch because it won't last long!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Easy to Make: Cowboy soup is straightforward and uses easy to find ingredients making it perfect for any skill level.
Versatile: The use of readily available and versatile ingredients like beans, Rotel tomatoes, and frozen vegetables makes cowboy soup convenient for people to prepare with what they typically have in their pantry or freezer.
Perfect for Meal Prep: This soup freezes perfectly so get stocked up for easy and convenient meals any day of the week.
Nutritious and Balanced: Packed with lean ground beef, beans, and a variety of vegetables, Cowboy Soup offers a well-rounded meal with protein, fiber, and essential nutrients, making it a wholesome choice for most people.
🥘Ingredients and Substitutions
White onion - feel free to substitute with any type of onion you happen to have on hand. You will need approximately 3 cups diced onion.
Lean Ground Beef - Any type of ground beef can be used in this cowboy soup recipe. If looking to reduce the calories try ground turkey for a perfect alternative.
Pinto Beans - I happened to have pinto beans on hand but other beans such as black beans or white or red kidney beans would be perfect.
Rotel Tomatoes - These canned tomatoes are diced with green chilis. They add to the Tex-Mex flavour of Cowboy Soup. I used the original, which is medium heat. Feel free to use the mild version or substitute with canned diced tomatoes and one or two diced jalapeno peppers.
Chicken Broth - I kept things light by using chicken broth. However you can substitute with beef broth if you prefer. This recipe is made with no-salt added broth.
Mixed Frozen Vegetables & Corn - To add to the preparation speed of this recipe I opted for mixed frozen veggies plus extra corn. Feel free to substitute with any of your favourite vegetables. You will need approximately 4 cups total.
Cilantro or Parsley - Fresh herbs add a nice fresh finish but can be left out.
Lime Juice - Fresh lime juice adds some fresh acidity to the soup. If you don't have any you can just leave it out or add a small splash of vinegar.
For a complete list of ingredients see the recipe card below.
Make it Vegetarian - You can easily turn this soup into a vegetarian or vegan meal. Simply replace the ground meat with extra beans, rice, or pasta and use vegetable broth instead of chicken or beef.
Make it Creamy - To give this soup a creamy base, stir in ½ cup of cream cheese, cream, coconut milk or dairy free alternative.
Add Grains or Pasta - Instead of, or in addition to, beans you can add cooked grains like rice, quinoa or pasta. If adding in any of these raw be sure to increase the amount of liquid used as the grains or pasta will absorb a lot.
🔪How to Make Cowboy Soup
Step 1 - Sautee onions until glassy and starting to soften.
Step 2 - Add garlic and ground beef and cook until meat is browned and cooked through.
Step 3 - Add beans, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer.
Step 4 - Stir in the vegetables and let simmer again.
Step 5 - Remove from heat and stir in fresh herbs and lime juice.
For detailed instructions see the recipe card below.
Prepare your ingredients - In the restaurant world we call this "mise en place" which means "everything in its place". This is my number 1 piece of cooking advice. Before you start cooking make sure you have all your ingredients measured, chopped, drained etc. This is especially helpful when making one-pan meals that come together quickly.
Don't overcook the vegetables - The frozen veggies are added in only for the last 10 minutes of cooking to make sure they don't overcook and become mushy.
Absolutely! Cowboy Soup freezes well. Store it in airtight containers or resealable freezer bags for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight or in the microwave.
Yes, you can use fresh vegetables instead of frozen. Adjust the cooking time to ensure the fresh vegetables are cooked to your desired tenderness.
Yes, you can adapt this recipe for a slow cooker. Sauté the onions, garlic, and ground beef separately, then transfer all ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
The soup's ingredients, including ground beef, beans, vegetables, and spices, align with the type of ingredients that might be readily available or suitable for a cowboy's meal. It's a simple, filling, and flavorful dish that could be prepared over a campfire or in a kitchen on a ranch.
More Hearty Soup Recipes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 500 g lean ground beef, (1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 540 ml can pinto beans, drained and rinsed well (19 oz)
- 2 284 ml cans Rotel tomatoes (9 oz cans)
- 4 cups chicken broth, no salt
- 3 cups mixed frozen vegetables
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt, more or less to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, more or less to taste
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Greek yogurt
- Pickled jalapenos
- Avocado or guacamole
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute, stirring, for 5 minutes or until glassy and starting to soften.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 large white onion,
- Add garlic and ground beef and continue cooking and stirring until meat is browned and cooked through. About 5 minutes.3 cloves garlic,, 500 g lean ground beef,
- Stir in beans and spices and stir well to coat. Stir in tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 540 ml can pinto beans, drained and rinsed well (19 oz), 2 284 ml cans Rotel tomatoes (9 oz cans), 4 cups chicken broth,
- Stir in mixed vegetables and corn. Cover and simmer for 10 more minutes.3 cups mixed frozen vegetables, 1 cup frozen corn
- Remove from heat and stir in chopped parsley and fresh lime juice. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with optional garnishes.¼ cup fresh cilantro or parsley,, 1 lime,, 1 teaspoon salt,, ½ teaspoon black pepper,