Everything you love about cabbage rolls minus all the work! This soup ticks all the comfort boxes and will keep you warm and cozy on those cold winter days.
This soup comes together in a cinch! One pot meals are such a huge win for any day of the week but especially on busy weeknights.
What you need to make this soup
- Ground beef - can substitute any ground meat
- Cabbage - Green, Savoy or Napa
- Whole canned tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Beef stock - can substitute with chicken or vegetable
- Black rice - or any type of rice, uncooked
- Hot paprika - can use mild
- Bay Leaf
- Brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce - can substitute with soy sauce
- Optional sour cream and fresh parsley garnish
How to make cabbage roll soup
- Heat olive oil and sauté onions, carrot, celery and beef, breaking beef apart, cooking for 8-10 minutes, until beef is cooked.
- Stir in paprika, tomato paste, sugar and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add chopped cabbage, tomatoes, broth/stock, rice and bay leaf.
- Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 25 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Add extra stock or water if you prefer it to be thinner.
- Top with a dollop of sour cream and fresh parsley.
More Soups For You To Enjoy
- SMOKY LENTIL AND BACON SOUP
- CREAMY CHICKEN AND MUSHROOM SOUP WITH DILL
- ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH, FENNEL AND APPLE SOUP
Cabbage Roll Soup
- Large soup pot
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef, can substitute any ground meat or beans
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 tbsp)
- 1 small head green cabbage, chopped or sliced
- 1 tsp hot or mild paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 x 796 ml/28 oz can whole tomatoes, chopped or pureed
- 6 cups beef, chicken, or vegetables stock/broth
- 3/4 cup black rice, wild rice, brown or white rice
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream or plain yogurt
- Fresh, chopped parsley
- Parmesan cheese
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add ground meat, onions, carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes or until beef is cooked and onions are soft.
- Add garlic, cabbage, paprika, tomato paste, sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine well.
- Add canned tomatoes, stock/broth, rice, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until cabbage is soft. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with sour cream, plain yogurt, fresh parsley and/or Parmesan cheese.
- The soup is thick and stew-like. Add extra stock if you prefer it thinner.
- Lasts for 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Freeze in airtight container for up to 6 months.
- Make it vegan/vegetarian by replacing the meat with your favourite beans.