Cozy comfort comes in to you in a bowl of this Tuscan White Bean Soup. Loaded with kale and white beans, this soup is nourishing for the body and soothing for the soul. A touch of bacon is added for depth of flavour but can easily be left out for a vegetarian or vegan option.
This Tuscan white bean soup is hearty and filling. It's also economical and versatile. So why not make a big batch and stock the freezer?
If you love stocking the freezer with hearty soups check out these recipes for Lentil Soup with Moroccan Spices, Hearty Broccoli Soup, Cowboy Hamburger Soup, Hearty Lentil Soup with Bacon, and Vegetarian Mushroom Barley Soup.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Easy to Make: This white bean soup comes together quickly using easy to find ingredients you may already have on hand.
Versatile: Many of the ingredients in this recipe can be switched up to cater to personal preference or what you have on hand.
Perfect for Meal Prep: This Tuscan white bean soup is a perfect make-ahead meal. It keeps in the fridge for days and freezes beautifully.
Nutritious and Balanced: Everything you need to nourish your body is included in this soup. Protein, veggies and greens make for a completely satisfying meal.
🥘Ingredients and Substitutions
Bacon: Bacon adds a depth of flavour but if you wish to make this soup vegetarian or vegan, simply omit the bacon and use a tablespoon of olive oil for frying the vegetables. Or in place of bacon you can use ham, pancetta or sausage.
White Onion: Use any type of onion for this recipe including yellow, Spanish, sweet, red, or leeks.
Rosemary: I happened to have some fresh rosemary on hand but you can substitute with fresh thyme or basil. To substitute with dried herbs you will need one teaspoon total, adjusting the amount to suit personal preferences.
Chili Flakes: A small amount of chili flakes adds a hint of spice. Leave them out if you don't like the heat or add more to turn it up! You can also add them as a garnish, catering to individual needs.
White Kidney Beans: Cannellini, navy, or any type of white beans will work for this recipe. If you want to cook your own beans have a look at my favourite way to cook your own white beans.
Chicken Broth: Substitute with vegetable broth to make this soup vegetarian or vegan.
Kale: Other leafy greens such as chard, collards, spinach and arugula work perfectly in place of kale.
Parmesan Rind: Adding a chunk of Parmesan rind to the soup while it's cooking provides a wonderful layer of flavour. If you don't have any rind on hand, simply garnish your individual soup bowls with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Fresh Lemon Juice: Making perfect soups is all about balancing the flavours. Adding lemon juice brightens everything up and adds a touch of acidity. If you don't have any fresh lemons add in half the amount of apple cider vinegar or white or red wine vinegar. Taste and adjust as needed.
For a complete list of ingredients see the recipe card below.
🔪How to Make Tuscan White Bean Soup
Step 1 - Fry diced bacon in a large soup pot until crispy.
Step 2 - Add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic to the bacon. Cover and cook gently until vegetables are soft.
Step 3 - Add chili flakes, rosemary, beans and broth. Partially puree the soup with a hand blender. This step is optional.
Step 4 - Add chopped kale and Parmesan rind. Stir to combine.
Step 5 - Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and add fresh lemon juice and chopped parsley, if using. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
For detailed instructions see the recipe card below.
Prepare your ingredients - In the restaurant world we call this "mise en place" which means "everything in its place". This is my number 1 piece of cooking advice. Before you start cooking make sure you have all your ingredients measured, chopped, drained etc. This is especially helpful when making one-pan meals that come together quickly.
Chop kale into smaller pieces - Pieces of kale should be no bigger than the size of a soup spoon. This makes eating the soup easier and less messy.
Make it ahead - Soups often taste better the next day and this Tuscan White Bean and Kale Soup is no exception! Make it ahead and let the flavours deepen as it sits overnight in the fridge.
Parmesan cheese rinds can be saved and kept in the freezer for when you want to use them. They add depth of flavour to many soups, stews and chilis.
Yes absolutely! Simply remove a portion of the soup and puree it in a regular blender then add it back to the pot.
Cannellini or white kidney beans work best for this soup because of their size and softer texture. However, any white beans will work for this recipe.
No, it's optional. However, it adds a subtle depth of flavor to the broth. You can also add grated Parmesan during serving.
More Bean Soup Recipes
Tuscan White Bean Soup
- 3 slices bacon, diced (100 g/3.5 oz)
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed (540 ml/19 oz each)
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth, no sodium
- 4 cups chopped kale, 5 to 6 large leaves
- parmesan rind, optional
- Juice of half a lemon 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley optional
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, optional
- In a large pot, cook diced bacon over medium heat until crispy.3 slices bacon,
- Add diced onion, carrots, celery, and finely chopped garlic. Cover and cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.1 large white onion,, 2 large carrots,, 2 stalks celery,, 6 cloves garlic,
- Stir in rosemary and chili flakes. Add drained and rinsed white beans and pour in broth.2 teaspoons rosemary,, ½ teaspoon chili flakes, 2 cans white beans,, 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth,
- Optional Step: Partially puree the soup with an immersion blender for a creamier texture.
- Stir in chopped kale and Parmesan rind, if using. Alternatively, you can add the kale to the pot before pureeing, depending on your desired texture.4 cups chopped kale,, parmesan rind,
- Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and fresh parsley if using. Taste and season with salt and pepper.Juice of half a lemon, Salt and pepper to taste
- To serve; ladle into bowls and garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese.Parmesan cheese,