These easy, Creamy Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers are bursting with flavour and ready for the oven in 20 minutes! Perfect for a family-friendly weeknight meal. Or how about a potluck? They also freeze beautifully so are great for planning ahead for busy days when you don't have time to cook.
This was inspired by my Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings recipe and would be delicious paired with my Cumin & Lime Slaw recipe.
The ingredients for this recipe are simple and easy to find. I've included a recipe for both the Buffalo Sauce and Blue Cheese Dressing but you can use store-bought versions to make this dish come together even faster!
- bell peppers
- rotisserie chicken
- Frank's Original hot sauce
- Sambal Olek (chili garlic sauce)
- Worchesershire sauce
- apple cider vinegar
- garlic powder
- sour cream
- plain yogurt
- Danish blue cheese
- onion powder
- cheddar cheese
- green onions (optional)
See recipe card for quantities.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove the core and seeds. Arrange, cut side up, in a baking dish or a foil lined tray. Set aside.
- Shred or chop rotisserie chicken and place in a bowl.
- In a seperate bowl mix together the Buffalo sauce ingredients and add to the chicken. Mix with a whisk unil well combined.
- Season peppers with salt and pepper. Stuff with chicken filling and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes or until peppers have softened and filling is bubbling.
- Top with blue cheese dressing and sliced green onions (optional).
Hint: If your peppers are falling to the side, slice a small piece from the bottom to create a flat surface to keep them upright. Or place in a pan that fits them snuggly together so they can hold each other up.
A few things can be switched up for this recipe.
- Large bell peppers - use mini bell peppers or jalapenos for a fun party snack or appetizer.
- Rotisserie chicken - any leftover or cooked chicken will work. If you want to cook your own chicken bring a pot of water to a boil and poach approximately 1 kg (2 lbs) of chicken breasts for 15 to 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165° F or chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- Sour Cream - plain Greek yogurt can be used instead.
- Sambal Oelek - use any chili garlic sauce you like or substitute with Sriratcha.
- Blue Cheese - not a fan of blue cheese? try using feta instead. My Spicy Ranch Dressing would also be delicious
- Vegetarian - replace the chicken with black beans, chickpeas, tofu or tempeh. You can also add in cooked veggies like cauliflower, zucchini, peas, corn etc.
- Dairy Free or Vegan - leave out the sour cream in the Buffalo sauce or replace with a dairy free plain yogurt or sour cream alternative. Also omit the shredded cheese topping and blue cheese dressing or replace with a dairy free alternative.
- Turn up the heat! - add chopped jalapeno peppers and/or tobasco sauce to the chicken mixture.
- Turn down the heat - increase the sour cream and decrease the hot sauces.
- Deluxe - jazz these peppers up by adding some cooked veggies, fresh herbs, and/or chopped greens.
No fancy equipment is needed here but if you are interested in checking out the baking dish I used, you can find it here Le Creuset Braiser (affiliate link).
Store the leftovers in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days. Reheat in a 350 °F oven or in the microwave.
Freeze in an airtight container or wrapped well individually for up to 3 months. To defrost - bake from frozen at 350 degrees F for half an hour or until warmed inside.
Depending on the size of the peppers, you may be able to fill 8 halves without adjusting the recipe. You can also stuff them less to fill 2 extra halves. Turn an ordinary salad into a Buffalo chicken salad by topping it with any extra filling you may have.
If you want a softer texture to the peppers you could cook them partially before stuffing.
To avoid sogginess try not to overcook the stuffed peppers. Also not using too much liquid in the filling will prevent sogginess.
Yes you can. However, bell peppers are best because of their size and thickness.
Creamy Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- 3 large bell peppers
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups rotisserie chicken (1 whole chicken)
- 1 cup old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 sliced green onions, optional
- ⅓ cup Frank's Original Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Sambal Oelek, or other chili garlic sauce
- ½ teaspoon Worchestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
Blue Cheese Dressing
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup Danish blue cheese crumbled
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Pre-heat oven to 350 °F
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove the core and seeds. Place in a baking dish just big enough to fit the pepper halves or on a foil-lined tray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Shred or chop rotisserie chicken and place in a bowl.
- For the Buffalo sauce, mix together hot sauce, chili garlic sauce, Worcestershire vinegar, garlic powder, and sour cream until smooth. Stir into chicken until fully combined.
- Stuff pepper halves with chicken mixture. Top with cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the blue cheese dressing, Crumble blue cheese into a bowl. Add the mayonnaise, yogurt, and onion powder. Stir to combine well. If it's too thick for your liking add small amounts of water at a time to reach desired thickness. Set aside. You can also mix it in a blender or with a hand blender.
- Serve the blue cheese dressing drizzled on top or on the side. Top with sliced green onions if desired.
Soooooo yummy! Great way to use rotisserie chicken and simple to prepare. I like mine spicy so added a little extra of the hot stuff ❤️🔥
Andrea I think each new recipe gets better and better. I made this recipe while my husband was away so cut it in half and just used ground turkey . Since I’m not a huge fan of blue cheese I took your recommendation and substituted feta for the sauce. So yummy. Had extra chicken which I used the next day for lunch in a romaine lettuce wrap with some extra veggies and used the balance of sauce for a veggie dip for the next couple of days as it wa too yummy to waste. Highly recommended. Will definitely be making again! Also have to say making my own Buffalo sauce was fantastic and easy.
So happy you enjoyed it! Thank you for the lovely comment 😊