It IS possible to have crispy, and I mean CRISPY, wings without deep frying. Trust me, it's true. Plus these Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings are unbelievably easy to make with only a few simple ingredients. Also, check out the Blue Cheese Dip recipe. A match made in heaven!
In 1964 the first plate of Buffalo wings was served at a family-owned joint in Buffalo, New York called The Anchor Bar. They were served with a special spicy sauce, blue cheese, and celery. Apparently, because that's all they had on hand. There's more to the story but I'm not here to talk about the history of Buffalo wings...I'm here to share this delicious recipe!!
This sauce recipe veers from the traditional which uses just hot sauce and melted butter. I've added some extra stuff to jazz it up. If you love Buffalo flavours check out my Creamy Buffalo Stuffed Peppers
What you will need
For the crispy wings
- Chicken wings of course! - They can be split or whole but the split ones are classic.
- Cornstarch - This is part of what makes them SO crispy.
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder - To pre-season the wings.
For the Buffalo Sauce
- Frank's Red Hot Original - Not the wing sauce but the original.
- Sambal Oelek - An Indonesian chili sauce/paste that has loads of flavour! If you can't find it substitute with Sriracha or click here to order.
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Apple cider vinegar - You can substitute with rice wine or white wine vinegar.
- Unsalted butter - If you use salted butter reduce the salt in the dry seasoning to 1 tsp.
For the blue cheese dip
- Blue cheese - I used Danish blue but any kind will work
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
If you are looking for more chicken wing recipes try my delicious Grilled Vietnamese Chicken Wings!
How to make the wings
- Dry the wings really well. Lay them flat on top of paper towel and pat dry with more paper towel. Toss them in a bowl with the dry ingredients until completely coated.
- Place them on a lined tray, on top of a greased wire rack - like this Stainless Steel Cooling and Roasting Rack (affiliate link) , ensuring they aren't touching each other.
- Bake at a low temperature, 275 degrees F., for 30 minutes. This starts to render (melt) the fat which is important for crispiness.
- Flip and then crank up the heat to 450 degrees F. and bake the wings for another 30 minutes or until nicely browned and crispy.
- Toss in the sauce as soon as they come out of the oven and serve with Blue Cheese Dip!
This Buffalo sauce couldn't be easier. Mix everything together except the melted butter. Then whisk in the melted butter. If you make it in advance you may need to warm it up if the butter has solidified.
Blue Cheese Dip
Mix together all the ingredients in a bowl. If you prefer a smoother consistency mix in a food processor, blender, or hand blender. This dip is fantastic with veggies too!
Other recipes for you to try!
- Vietnamese Chicken Wings
- Spicy Ranch Dressing and Dip
- Easy Thai Style Cucumber Salad
- Easy Dill Pickle Chopped Salad
Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings
- 3 lbs chicken wings, separated
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
Buffalo Wing Sauce
- ⅓ cup Frank's Original Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Sambal Oelek
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup butter, unsalted, melted
Blue Cheese Dip
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup yogurt
- ½ - 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
Crispy Oven Wings
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Rinse and dry chicken wings really well.
- Place in a large bowl, add corn starch, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and toss to coat well.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and place a wire cooling rack on the tray. Spray with non-stick spray or lightly grease. Place chicken wings on rack so they aren't touching.
- Bake on middle rack for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and turn.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F. and place wings back in oven (you don't have to let it preheat)
- Bake for another 30 minutes or until golden and crispy.
Buffalo Wing Sauce
- While wings are baking make the sauce.
- In a bowl mix together Frank's, Sambal, Worchesterchire, and apple cider vinegar. Slowly whisk in melted butter. Set aside.
Blue Cheese Dip
- While wings are baking make the dip.
- Crumble blue cheese into a medium bowl. Add the mayonnaise, yogurt, onion and garlic powder and stir to combine. If you prefer a smooth texture rather then chunky, mix everything together in a food processor or blender.
- Store, covered, in the fridge for up to one week.
Finishing the wings
- As soon as the wings are done place them in a large bowl. Toss with the sauce until well coated. Serve immediately with blue cheese dip.
- If you plan to have leftovers save any excess sauce that collects at the bottom of the bowl. You can toss the reheated wings with the extra sauce.
- Chicken wings can be reheated in a 350 degree F oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Wings can be stored in the fridge for 3 days.
- Buffalo sauce can be made in advance and keep in the fridge for 3 months. You will have to warm up the sauce to melt the butter again.
- Blue cheese dip can be made in advance and keep in the fridge for one week.