Looking for new ways to use cabbage? This Roasted Cabbage with Bacon and Balsamic recipe is fast and easy. It can be enjoyed as a side dish to things like grilled meats, braised beans or lentils but can also be the main event!
The humble cabbage needs more love and attention don't you think? It's one of the most versatile vegetables out there! Not that I don't love a good coleslaw but I find that's the first (and sometimes only) thing people associate it with, other than sauerkraut and maybe kimchi. Yes it makes a great salad but it can also be an easy, inexpensive and delicious vegetable dish.
Ingredients to Make This Recipe
This ingredient list couldn't be easier and quite possibly you already have everything on hand. If you are like me you always have a pack of bacon in the freezer. If not, you should start.
- Green cabbage
- Bacon and it's rendered fat
- Balsamic vinegar
- Parmesan cheese
Additional ingredients and substitutes
Lots of options to tweak this dish.
- Make it Vegan by omitting the bacon and brushing the cabbage with olive oil and serve it with some braised white beans...yum!
- Use savoy cabbage instead of green. Savoy cabbage is a bit softer so the cooking time may be reduced.
- Add thickly sliced white or sweet onion to the roasting tray.
- Add potato slices or cubes to the roasting tray.
- Use ham or cut up sausage instead of bacon and use olive oil to brush the cabbage
How to Make This Recipe
- Cut bacon into small pieces and cook over medium-low heat until crispy. Drain on paper towel and reserve fat.
- Trim the stem of the cabbage so it is flush with the head. Stand it up on this flat side and slice into approximately one inch steaks.
- Place steaks on a tray and brush with the rendered bacon fat or olive oil.
- Bake in a pre-heated 400° F oven for approximately 40 minutes or until tender. Check after 30 minutes if using Savoy cabbage.
- Sprinkle with bacon, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and grate Parmesan cheese on top. Serve and enjoy!
Roast the cabbage until it is your desired tenderness. I cooked mine for 40 minutes until nice and soft but you may want a bit more crunch so start checking it after about 25 minutes.
This roasted cabbage with bacon and balsamic would go perfectly with my Mustard and Herb Grilled Pork Tenderloin!
Let me know in the comments below if you try this recipe. I'd love to hear how it turned out!
Other recipes you might like
Roasted Cabbage with Bacon and Balsamic
- 4-6 slices bacon, cooked fat reserved
- 1 head green or savoy cabbage (approx. 1.5 kg or 3 lbs)
- balsamic vinegar for drizzling
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Cut bacon into small pieces/slices.
- Cook in a saute pan over medium-low heat until crispy. Scoop out onto paper towel and reserve fat to brush on cabbage later.
- Trim the core end of cabbage so it is flush with the head. Stand up on the flat side you just cut and into 1 inch steaks.
- Place in single layer on baking sheet and brush both sides with bacon fat or olive oil.
- Roast in preheated oven for 30-45 minutes or until desired tenderness is reached.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cooked bacon. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!