Looking for new ways to use cabbage? This Roasted Cabbage with Bacon and Balsamic recipe is fast and easy. It can be enjoyed as a side dish to things like grilled meats, braised beans or lentils but can also be the main event!
The humble cabbage needs more love and attention don't you think? It's one of the most versatile vegetables out there! Not that I don't love a good coleslaw but I find that's the first (and sometimes only) thing people associate it with, other than sauerkraut and maybe kimchi. Yes it makes a great salad but it can also be an easy, inexpensive and delicious vegetable dish.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Health Benefits - Cabbage is a nutritious vegetable that is low in calories and high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Adding bacon and balsamic vinegar provides additional layers of flavor and protein, making it an enjoyable way to incorporate more leafy greens into your diet.
Versatility - Roasted cabbage steaks is versatile recipe and can be easily customized by adjusting the seasoning, using different types of cabbage, or adding optional toppings or sides.
Balanced Meal Potential - With the option to easily pair it with various proteins, grains, vegetables, and other accompaniments, these roasted cabbage steaks can be transformed into a balanced and wholesome meal that satisfies and nourishes.
The ingredients list for roasted cabbage couldn't be easier and quite possibly you already have everything on hand. If you are like me you always have a pack of bacon in the freezer. If not, you should start.
- Green cabbage - red cabbage or savoy will also work here. If using savoy you may need to reduce the baking time.
- Bacon and it's rendered fat - for a meatless version, omit the bacon and brush the cabbage steaks with olive oil or melted butter.
- Balsamic vinegar adds a sweet and tangy finish.
- Parmesan cheese adds a salty punch but any of your favourite cheeses would be delicious.
- Make it Vegan by omitting the bacon and brushing the cabbage with olive oil and serve it with some braised white beans...yum!
- Add thickly sliced white or sweet onion to the roasting tray.
- Add potato slices or cubes to the roasting tray.
- Use ham or cut up sausage instead of bacon and use olive oil to brush the cabbage to make this roasted cabbage dish a meal!
- Jazz it up by adding chopped parsley, olives and/or capers.
How to Make Roasted Cabbage Steaks
Step 1 - Cut bacon into small pieces and cook over medium-low heat until crispy. Drain on paper towel and reserve fat.
Step 2 - Trim the stem of the cabbage so it is flush with the head. Slice crosswise, through the core, into one-inch slices.
Step 3 - Place steaks on a tray and brush with the rendered bacon fat or olive oil. Bake in a pre-heated 400° F oven for approximately 40 minutes or until tender. Check after 30 minutes if using Savoy cabbage.
Step 4 - Sprinkle with bacon, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and grate Parmesan cheese on top. Serve and enjoy!
Roast the cabbage until it is your desired tenderness. I cooked mine for 40 minutes until nice and soft but you may want a bit more crunch so start checking it after about 25 minutes.
Try my recipe for Beans and Greens soup for a delicious way to use up extra cabbage.
Prep the cabbage properly - Remove the tough outer leaves and slice the cabbage crosswise. The core helps hold the slices together.
Cook the bacon first - This helps reduce the amount of fat in this recipe. Cooking the bacon first allows you to drain off excess fat. However, if fat isn't a concern you could sprinkle chopped, raw bacon over the cabbages slices and roast everything together.
Choose the right cabbage - Look for firm heads of cabbage that will keep their shape when cut into slices.
Serve cabbage steaks along side roasted chicken, fish, pork or beef. Cabbage steaks are also delicious served with braised beans.
Yes, you can omit the bacon to make it vegetarian or use vegan bacon alternatives. Ensure your balsamic is vegan-friendly.
This dish can easily be made ahead of time. Cook the bacon and roast the cabbage. Store separately in the fridge. Remove from the fridge and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Warm the cabbage with the bacon for 15 minutes or until warm. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and drizzle with balsamic before serving.
More Cabbage Recipes
Roasted Cabbage with Bacon and Balsamic
- 4-6 slices bacon, cooked fat reserved
- 1 head green or savoy cabbage (approx. 1.5 kg or 3 lbs)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar for drizzling
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Cut bacon into small pieces/slices. Cook in a saute pan over medium-low heat until crispy. Scoop out onto paper towel and reserve fat to brush on cabbage later.4-6 slices bacon, cooked fat reserved
- Trim the core end of cabbage so it is flush with the head. Slice crosswise into 1 inch steaks.1 head green or savoy cabbage (approx. 1.5 kg or 3 lbs)
- Place in single layer on baking sheet and brush both sides with bacon fat or olive oil.
- Roast in preheated oven for 30-45 minutes, flipping half way through. Depending on the cabbage they may need extra time. Cook to your desired texture.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cooked bacon. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and top with Parmesan cheese.1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar for drizzling, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Serve and enjoy!