The most humble ingredients come together to make an exciting and delicious coleslaw. Cumin and lime dressing add a sunny twist on an old favorite.
This coleslaw only takes a few minutes to put together but lasts several days in the fridge. It makes a perfect side dish or add it to tacos, burgers, sandwiches, burritos and burrito bowls. Anywhere you are looking for a sweet, tangy and crunchy addition. Who doesn't need another coleslaw recipe am I right?
- Green and red cabbage
- Quick pickled onions
- Cumin lime dressing
- Fresh cilantro or parsley
- Pumpkin seeds, raw or roasted, for garnish
- Fresh lime wedges for garnish
- Prepare Cumin Lime Dressing and Quick Pickled Onions
- Remove any bad looking outer leaves from cabbage, cut in half and then in quarters and slice thinly. It's easiest to use a Japanese Mandoline Slicer for the cabbage and the pickled onions. It makes thin evenly shredded cabbage and onions. Otherwise a sharp Chef's knife will work.
- Peel and grate carrots by hand or with a food processor.
- Rinse, dry and chop cilantro or parsley.
- Mix everything together, except the pumpkin seeds, in a large bowl.
- Serve immediately, garnished with pumpkin seeds and fresh lime wedges or cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Substitutes & Additions
Cabbage - Use only one type of cabbage or substitute with another type such as Napa or savoy. Keep in mind that softer varieties such as Napa will lose it's crunch faster so may not keep for as long in the fridge.
Pickled onions - Don't want to make the pickled onions? No sweat. Sub in thinly sliced plain red onion or green onion instead.
Pumpkin seeds - Garnish with any kind of toasted nuts or seeds instead of pumpkin.
Make it creamy - Make it creamy by adding half the dressing and adding a dollop or two of plain Greek yogurt or mayonnaise. Add extra ground cumin and lime to adjust seasonings to taste.
This salad will keep covered in the fridge for one week.
- BRUSSELS SPROUTS, BACON AND APPLE SLAW
- SHAVED ASPARAGUS SALAD WITH CREAMY PARMESAN DRESSING
- CRISPY KALE AND AVOCADO CAESAR SALAD
Cumin Lime Coleslaw
- 4 cups green cabbage, shredded, about ¼ of a large head
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded, about ¼ of a small head
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- ½ cup quick pickled onions
- 1 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, or more to taste
- ½ cup cumin lime dressing
- pumpkin seeds for garnish, optional
- fresh lime wedges for garnish, optional
- Prepare Cumin Lime Dressing and Quick Pickled Onions.
- Thinly shred cabbages using a mandoline or a sharp knife. About ½ cm or ⅛" thickness.
- Peel and grate carrots.
- Rinse and dry cilantro or parsley and chop.
- Mix everything but pumpkin seeds in a large bowl and toss together until mixed well and everything is coated with the dressing. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days. The longer it sits the less crunch it has but is still delicious!
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds and fresh lime wedges.