This stunning roasted beet salad is perfect for a special occasion or dinner party. The combination of goat cheese and greens with crunchy almonds is delightful! It's simple and easy and everything can be prepped ahead of time.
Roasting your own beets is not only easy but also economical. Wrapping them, unpeeled, in tin foil then rubbing the skins off with paper towel creates less mess than other methods. Roasting also keeps in all the flavor and nutrients for a healthier and better tasting salad.
I love serving this salad with Smoked Turkey Breasts.
Why you will love this recipe
It's a show-stopper - this beet salad with it's beautiful colours looks stunning on any table.
Quick and easy - Aside from the hands-off time to roast the beets, this salad comes together quickly and easily.
Prepare it ahead - All the components can be made ahead of time and stored until ready to assemble.
Nutritious - Beets are packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. Combined with arugula, almonds and goat cheese you have yourself one powerhouse of a salad!
Easy roasting technique - Although you can find vacuum packed cooked beets in many stores now, they lack flavor and can sometimes be too soft. With this easy and less-messy method you will never buy pre-cooked beets again!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Beets - Any colour beets will work with this recipe. You can also used store-bought pre-cooked beets although I recommend roasting your own for best flavour and nutritional value.
- Spring Mix - Arugula would make a delicious alternative and any of your favourite greens will work with this recipe.
- Goat cheese - I love the creamy texture of goat cheese for this salad but feta cheese would be a perfect alternative.
- Sliced almonds - Nuts provide a wonderful crunch to this salad. Many other toasted nuts would be great such as walnuts, pecans or pistachios. You can also opt out of nuts altogether and top with toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
- Olive oil - Any healthy oil such as avocado or nut oils can be used instead.
- Honey - Maple syrup or sugar can be used instead of honey. If using sugar let the dressing sit for at least 20 minutes, and stir or shake again, to make sure the sugar has dissolved.
- Sherry vinegar - This is one of my favorite vinegars for salad dressings but apple cider, red or white wine vinegar, balsamic, or rice vinegar would also work.
- Dijon mustard - Grainy mustard or ½ a teaspoon of mustard powder can be substituted.
- Parsley is optional but is a nice finishing touch. Fresh dill would make a delicious substitute.
For a complete list of ingredients see the recipe card below.
How to Make Roasted Beet Salad
Step 1 - wash and trim the stems from the beets.
Step 2 - Wrap individually in foil and bake for 45 minutes or until easily pierced with a paring knife.
Step 3 - remove from oven and open the foil packets right away to let the steam escape. This prevents further cooking.
Step 4 - rub the skins off using paper towel. Do this while the beets are still warm and the skin should slip right off.
Step 5 - While the beets are roasting prepare the vinaigrette. Mix everything together in a bowl with a fork or whisk. Or you can put everything in a jar and shake vigorously.
Step 6 - Toast the almonds in a frying pan over low heat, stirring often, until golden brown.
Step 7 - Arrange greens on a serving platter. Slice beets and place slightly overlapping, in a single layer, on top of the greens. Drizzle beets with vinaigrette, top with crumbled goat cheese, toasted almonds and parsley, if using. Serve at room temperature.
For detailed instructions see the recipe card below.
What to serve with Roasted Beet Salad
More Salad Recipes
Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
- 6 medium-large beets about 1 kg/2 lbs, washed and stems removed
- 100 g goat’s cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup sliced almonds toasted
- 6 cups arugula or spring greens
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley minced (optional)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon sherry vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Roasting the beets
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position and preheat to 400 degrees F.
- Wrap beets separately in tin foil and place on a baking tray. Roast for 45 minutes to one hour or until beets are easily pierced with a paring knife.6 medium-large beets
- Once the beets are done, remove from oven and open each packet to let the steam escape. Let cool just enough so you can handle them as they are easier to peel while still warm. Using paper towels, rub the skins off and slice into 1 cm (½-inch) slices.
For the salad
- While the beets are roasting prepare the vinaigrette by whisking all the ingredients together in a bowl or shaking in a jar.¼ cup olive oil, 2 tablespoon sherry vinegar, 2 teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Toast the almonds in a dry frying pan over medium heat. Shake the pan often, tossing them as they brown. Keep a close eye on them as they can burn easily. Transfer immediately to a cool plate or bowl to stop browning.¼ cup sliced almonds
- Arrange greens on a platter then lay sliced beets on top. Top with pieces of goat’s cheese, toasted almonds, and parsley if using. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and sprinkle parsley on top (if using). Serve at room temperature.100 g goat’s cheese, 6 cups arugula or spring greens, 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- If making ahead, keep the components separate and assemble the salad shortly before serving.