This recipe makes a large batch for you to enjoy for a few days. Mix and match the components by serving the vegetables as a side with dinner, tossing chickpeas on any dish where you want to bump up the protein, and using the dressing as a dip or drizzled on nearly anything!
If you love roasted vegetable salads (because they do make life easier!) check out my Warm Lentil Salad with Roasted Vegetables and this Black Rice Salad with Roasted Vegetables.
Here's what you will need to make this delicious salad. Keep in mind, you can use any vegetables that you like or omit any you don't like. This recipe is super flexible!
- sweet potatoes
- bell pepper
- Brussels sprouts
- cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper
- tahini paste
- lemon juice
See the recipe card for quantities.
🔪How to make it
First the chickpeas - Dry the chickpeas really well then coat with the oil. Mix the spices together and set aside. You will toss the chickpeas with the seasonings after baking. The chickpeas then get roasted in the oven. The longer you roast them, the crispier they will get so roast until your desired texture is reached.
Prep and roast the veggies - Cut all the vegetables as directed in the recipe. Spread on a tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast.
Make the dressing - Mix together all the dressing ingredients until smooth. This can take a couple of minutes and it might seem like it's seizing up. Continue stirring and it will come together. Add more water if it needs to be thinned out more. Only add one teaspoon at a time.
Vegetables - use any combination of vegetables you like. Some other great options would be asparagus, mushrooms, broccoli, turnip, parsnip, plus many more!
Chickpeas - of course the chickpeas are optional and so are the spices and the roasting. If you wanted to keep things simple you could toss some chickpeas out of the can onto your salad (after rinsing of course) and call it a day!
Tahini dressing - Feel free to use any of your favourite dressings on this salad.
My favourite baking trays are these super simple and functional Half-Sheet Aluminum Baking Sheets.
When roasting vegetables be sure to not overcrowd the pan. It's better to divide them onto more trays if necessary. Overcrowding leads to the vegetables steaming which prevent them from browning and developing that earthy, roasted flavour.
For crispy chickpeas roast them separately from the vegetables. The veggies release steam which can prevent them from crisping.
Add spices to the chickpeas once they are done roasting and still hot. This prevents the spices from burning and becoming bitter.
Store roasted vegetables in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Chickpeas are best eaten within 2-3 days when roasted. Store loosely covered at room temperature. If stored in the fridge they will last 5 days but the texture will soften. Store tahini dressing in a jar or sealed container for 2 weeks. Loosen with a bit of water, if necessary, before serving.
Tried this recipe? I would love it if you could leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and/or a comment below. You can also follow me on social media here on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Roasted Vegetable and Spiced Chickpea Salad
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2” sticks, 2 cups
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced, 2 cups
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and sliced ½ inch thick, 1 cup
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets, 3 cups
- 10 radishes, rinsed and cut in half or quarters depending on size, 1 cup
- 8 Brussels sprouts, halved or quartered depending on size, 2 cups
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cans (425g/15oz) chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and dried well, 4 cups
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
LEMON TAHINI DRESSING
- ½ cup tahini paste
- Juice of one lemon, 2-3 tbsp.
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ cup ice water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Carefully dry the chickpeas, removing any loose skins. I do this by laying them on a dish towel lined tray with another towel on top and rub to dry. Place in a medium bowl and toss with olive oil and salt.
- Spread chickpeas onto a lined baking tray and roast in the oven for 15 minutes. Turn the tray and shake the chickpeas around for even cooking. Continue roasting for another 15 minutes, or until desired crispiness is reached. Oven temperatures vary so if you want them crispier keep going.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix cumin, chili powder, and cayenne. Set aside. You can also prepare the vegetables and dressing (see below) while the chickpeas are roasting. If you aren't going for crispy chickpeas you can roast everything together at the same time. The vegetables release steam which can prevent chickpeas from crisping up.
- Remove from the oven and toss immediately with the spices. Stir to coat and place back on the baking tray to cool. They will continue to crisp as they cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place all prepared vegetables into a large bowl and toss with 4 tbsp. of olive oil. Divide in half onto each tray. Don’t overcrowd the vegetables or they will steam instead of roast. Sprinkle each tray with ½ teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes, stirring and rotating pans halfway through cooking.
LEMON TAHINI DRESSING
- Stir the tahini to mix in any separated oil. This will take a couple of minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk together tahini paste, lemon juice, salt, and ice water. It will appear to seize at first but as you continue whisking it will smooth out and become light in colour. If it doesn’t, it needs more water. Add a teaspoon at a time until it reaches the right consistency which should barely drip from your whisk. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
- This salad can be served warm or cold. Top vegetables with spiced chickpeas and drizzled with tahini dressing. Add approximately ¼ cup of chickpeas and 2 tablespoon of dressing to every 2 cups of vegetables for a balanced lunch.
AMAZING!! Made this on “Downsizing week” It is so delish!! Definitely will make again and this will be great for meal preps for work.
Hi Coralie! So happy you enjoyed the recipe! Thanks for posting!!
This is really easy to make and is very filling! For me personally, I don't like a lot of chickpeas, so would only use one can next time for me. The tahini dressing really compliments the roasted vegetables nicely. This reheats well too.
Elissa p says
This was so delish!
I did make the chick peas in my air fryer instead and they were fabulous!!