This recipe makes a large batch for you to enjoy for a few days. Mix and match the components by serving the vegetables as a side with dinner, tossing chickpeas on any dish where you want to bump up the protein, and using the dressing as a dip or drizzled on nearly anything!
Here's what you will need to make this delicious salad. Keep in mind, you can use any vegetables that you like or omit any you don't like. This recipe is super flexible!
- sweet potatoes
- bell pepper
- Brussels sprouts
- cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper
- tahini paste
- lemon juice
See the recipe card for quantities.
🔪How to make it
First the chickpeas - Dry the chickpeas really well then coat with the oil. Mix the spices together and set aside. You will toss the chickpeas with the seasonings after baking. The chickpeas then get roasted in the oven. The longer you roast them, the crispier they will get so roast to your desired texture.
Prep and roast the veggies - Cut all the vegetables as directed in the recipe. Spread on a tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast.
Make the dressing - Mix together all the dressing ingredients until smooth. This can take a couple of minutes and it might seem like it's seizing up. Continue stirring and it will come together. Add more water if it needs to be thinned out more. Only add one teaspoon at a time.
Vegetables - use any combination of vegetables you like. Some other great options would be asparagus, mushrooms, broccoli, turnip, parsnip, plus many more!
Chickpeas - of course the chickpeas are optional and so are the spices and the roasting. If you wanted to keep things simple you could toss some chickpeas out of the can onto your salad (after rinsing of course) and call it a day!
Tahini dressing - Feel free to use any of your favourite dressings on this salad.
My favourite baking trays are these super simple and functional Half-Sheet Aluminum Baking Sheets.
When roasting vegetables be sure to not overcrowd the pan. It's better to divide them onto more trays if necessary. Overcrowding leads to the vegetables steaming which prevent them from browning and developing that earthy, roasted flavour.
Store roasted vegetables in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Chickpeas can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. They will lose their crispiness in the fridge. Store tahini dressing in a jar or sealed container for 2 weeks. Loosen with a bit of water, if necessary, before serving.
For the Livy Method
Lunch - This salad makes a perfect lunch if you are following the Weight Loss By Gina plan. It has a perfect balance of veggies and protein and also had leafy greens built right in with the Brussels sprouts!
Dinner: Serve this salad as a side dish to your favourite protein for dinner. Or increase the amount of chickpeas and add things like cheese, hemp heart, nuts and/or seeds.
Subscribe to my newsletter to receive every new recipe, plus more, right in your inbox! Just click HERE to subscribe.
Roasted Vegetable and Spiced Chickpea Salad with Tahini Dressing
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2” sticks, 2 cups
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced, 2 cups
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and sliced ½ inch thick, 1 cup
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets, 3 cups
- 10 radishes, rinsed and cut in half or quarters depending on size, 1 cup
- 8 Brussels sprouts, halved or quartered depending on size, 2 cups
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cans (425g/15oz) chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and dried well, 4 cups
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
LEMON TAHINI DRESSING
- ½ cup tahini paste
- Juice of one lemon, 2-3 tbsp.
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ cup ice water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Carefully dry the chickpeas, removing any loose skins. I do this by laying them on a dish towel lined tray with another towel on top and rub to dry. Place in a medium bowl and toss with olive oil and salt.
- In a small bowl mix cumin, chili powder, and cayenne. Set aside.
- Spread chickpeas onto a lined baking tray and roast in the oven for 15 minutes. Turn the tray and shake the chickpeas around for even cooking. Continue roasting for another 15 minutes, or until desired crispiness is reached. Meanwhile prepare the vegetables and tahini dressing.
- Remove from the oven and toss immediately with the spices. Stir to coat and place back on the baking tray to cool. They will continue to crisp as they cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place all prepared vegetables into a large bowl and toss with 4 tbsp. of olive oil. Divide in half onto each tray. Don’t overcrowd the vegetables or they will steam instead of roast. Sprinkle each tray with ½ teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes, stirring and rotating pans halfway through cooking.
LEMON TAHINI DRESSING
- Stir the tahini to mix in any separated oil. This will take a couple of minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk together tahini paste, lemon juice, salt, and ice water. It will appear to seize at first but as you continue whisking it will smooth out and become light in colour. If it doesn’t, it needs more water. Add a teaspoon at a time until it reaches the right consistency which should barely drip from your whisk. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
- This salad can be served warm or cold. Top vegetables with spiced chickpeas and drizzled with tahini dressing. Add approximately ¼ cup of chickpeas and 2 tablespoon of dressing to every 2 cups of vegetables for a balanced lunch.