I love cabbage! In the summer time it's cole slaw all the way and in the winter it's this Braised Red Cabbage with Onions and Apple for the win! Sweet and sour, crunchy and soft, it makes the perfect side to many winter comfort foods.
All you need is...
- One head of red cabbage
- One large white onion. You can also use yellow, Spanish or sweet onion
- 1 large apple, any kind
- Apple cider vinegar
- Apple cider
- Butter or oil
- Salt and pepper
All you do is...
- Thinly slice cabbage by first cutting the head in half, then into quarters. Then thinly slice each quarter, discarding the core. You should have about 8 cups.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Peel and thinly slice or grate the apple.
- Heat butter or oil over medium heat in a large pan with a lid that will fit all the ingredients.
- Add onions and apple. Sautee, stirring for 6-8 minutes or until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add cabbage, vinegar and cider. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and let simmer for 40 to 50 minutes or until desired texture is reached. If you like it a little crunchy, check after 30 minutes.
Other recipes you might like
Try this recipe with:
- MUSTARD AND HERB GRILLED PORK TENDERLOIN
- HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN THIGHS
- PORK MEDALLIONS IN CREAMY MUSHROOM SAUCE
Braised Red Cabbage with Onions and Apple
- Large pot or pan with fitted lid.
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 head red cabbage, small to medium. Cored, quartered, and thinly sliced
- 1 large white onion. Cut in half and thinly sliced.
- 1 large apple. Quartered, cored and thinly sliced. Or grated.
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Apple cider.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot or pan with fitted lid, heat butter or oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and apple and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add cabbage, vinegar and apple cider. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and continue simmering for 40 to 50 minutes or until desired texture is reached.
- Cabbage will last in the fridge for one week.