Are you looking for a delicious and healthy breakfast or brunch option that is easy to prepare? Look no further than this Easy Baked Frittata Recipe featuring zucchini, peas, spinach, and leeks.
Frittata is a versatile and satisfying dish that can be enjoyed any time of day. This recipe is a perfect way to incorporate nutrient-rich vegetables and quality protein into your diet. With just a few simple steps, you can whip up a flavorful and nutritious vegetarian meal that will impress your family and friends.
If you love eggs like I do be sure to check out these recipes for Easy Homemade Egg Bites, Oven Baked Eggs In Peppers, and Easy BLT Frittata. Or if you are looking for a high protein breakfast that isn't eggs try my Creamy Overnight Oats and Best Tiramisu Overnight Oats.
Why you will love this recipe
Easy to make - This recipe is easy to follow which makes it the perfect option no matter what your skill level is.
Versatile: Keeping the same egg mix ingredients you can switch up the vegetables and cheese to your liking. Frittata is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and can be served hot or cold.
Healthy and nutritious: This recipe is loaded with vegetables which are high in fiber, vitamins and minerals. It's a great way to add more vegetables into your diet.
High in protein: With 21 grams of protein per serving this frittata will keep you satisfied and help you reach your protein intake goals.
Leftovers: Frittatas of any kind make great leftovers. Store leftovers in the fridge and reheat when needed. Slices can also be wrapped individually and frozen. Defrost in the fridge overnight or in the microwave. Take a slice on the go for a perfect snack or lunch.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Zucchini and peas - any combination of vegetables will work in this recipe. You will need a total of approximately 4 cups of chopped vegetables. Asparagus, green beans, mushrooms, bell peppers, cooked broccoli or cauliflower are just some examples of vegetables that can be used.
Spinach is my go-to for adding greens to a frittata but other greens that work equally well are arugula, kale, Swiss chard and collard greens. If using kale, chard or collards, add them to the pan with the zucchini so they have time to cook. You can also steam or sauté them ahead of time.
Leeks can be replaced with one large diced white, yellow or Spanish onion.
Feta cheese - I love feta for it's salty, briny punch it adds but a great substitution would be small pieces of goat's cheese.
Cheddar and smoked cheddar cheese are great for their creamy melting qualities and also flavour. Substitute any cheese for what you have on hand. Frittatas are a great way to use up small pieces of cheese leftover in the fridge.
Fresh dill can be substituted with any delicate fresh herbs you like such as parsley, cilantro, basil or a combination. Use up any extra fresh dill with this Chopped Dill Pickle Salad Recipe.
Plain Greek yogurt can be substituted 1:1 with sour cream, cottage cheese or cream.
How to make this recipe
Step 1 - Mix together the eggs, yogurt, salt, and pepper and set aside while you prepare the vegetables and grate the cheese.
Step 2 - Saute the leeks and zucchini until softened.
Step 3 - Add peas, spinach, and dill and stir to combine and distribute evenly.
Step 4 - Pour the egg mixture evenly over the vegetables and sprinkle with the cheeses. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until set.
For detailed instructions see the recipe card below.
A quiche has a crust made of flaky pastry dough and a frittata is crustless. Quiche typically has a richer, creamier filling using heavy cream. Quiche is a French dish and frittata is from Italy.
If you don't have an oven-proof skillet you can prepare all the vegetables then transfer them to a greased 9 by 13-inch greased casserole dish. Distribute the vegetables evenly then pour in the egg mixture over top.
Adding dairy with fat is key to creating a light and fluffy frittata. Greek yogurt, sour cream, crème fraiche, cottage cheese, whole milk, or cream all work well to create a fluffy texture. Also be sure to whip the eggs and dairy well with a whisk to incorporate air to the mixture.
Cast iron skillets are perfect for making frittata. A well seasoned cast iron skillet is non-stick and with it's even distribution of heat and heat retention the frittata will bake evenly. However any non-stick and oven safe skillet will work.
Non-stick pan: It's important to use a non-stick pan when making frittata. If transferring to a casserole dish grease with butter or spray with non-stick spray before adding the frittata mixture.
Let rest before slicing: Letting the frittata cool and set for a few minutes before slicing makes it easier to slice.
Don't overbake: Keep an eye on the frittata and remove from oven when it has just set. Oven temperatures vary so timing may need to be adjusted for your oven. Check after 20 minutes. Gently shake the pan and look for any liquid moving in the center. You can also press the center with your finger to see if it is firm.
More Egg Recipes
Easy Baked Frittata
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon olive oil or butter
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only
- 2 zucchini, ends trimmed, sliced thinly
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 4 cups chopped spinach or baby spinach,
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- 100 g feta cheese crumbled or cubed, 1 cup cubed
- 100 g aged white cheddar, shredded, 1 ½ cups
- 50 g smoked cheddar, shredded, ½ cup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together eggs, yogurt, salt and pepper and set aside.12 large eggs, 1 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt, 1 ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Trim the dark green parts of the leeks and cut off the root end. Cut leeks in half lengthwise and then slice thinly. Place in a large bowl and rinse under cold water to remove all the sand. Let sit for 2 minutes so the sand can settle to the bottom of the bowl then lift the leeks out and into a colander to drain.2 leeks,
- Mix the 2 cheddars together but keep the feta in a separate bowl.100 g feta cheese crumbled or cubed,, 100 g aged white cheddar,, 50 g smoked cheddar,
- Heat oil or butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet or oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring often until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.2 teaspoon olive oil or butter
- Add zucchini and continue cooking, stirring often until zucchini are softened, 5 to 6 minutes.2 zucchini,
- Stir in peas, spinach, and dill making sure everything is distributed evenly in the pan before adding the egg mixture.1 cup green peas,, 4 cups chopped spinach or baby spinach,, ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- Remove from heat and pour in the egg mixture distributing it evenly around the pan. Add the feta and top with cheddar cheese mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until just set. Optional: turn broiler on to brown the top. This will only take 1 or 2 minutes so keep an eye on it.