High Protein Overnight Oats without protein powder is a healthy breakfast that is quick and easy to prepare. It's perfect for meal prep and the best part is you can add your favourite toppings such as Greek yogurt and fresh fruits. Only 5 minutes of prep, a few simple ingredients, and you will be all set for those busy mornings!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
High in Protein: This easy, overnight oats recipe has 10 grams of protein without the use of protein powder or toppings. It's also high in fiber and healthy fats and can keep you satisfied longer.
Versatile: Customize the flavours by adding extras like vanilla extract, cinnamon, or cocoa powder. Increase the protein even more by adding toppings like nuts, seeds, almond milk, Greek yogurt etc.. Or mix in your favourite protein powder.
Perfect for Meal Prep: This recipe comes together in minutes and lasts in the fridge for several days. Make a big batch and you have high protein breakfasts for the week!
🥘Ingredients and Substitutions
- Almond Milk - Any type of dairy or non-dairy milk will work for overnight oats. You can also use yogurt keeping in mind the consistency may be thicker.
- Almond butter - Any type of nut butter works in this recipe including peanut butter.
- Do You Have Nut allergy? - Use a seed butter such as sunflower or pumpkin.
- Hemp hearts - Any type of seeds can be used in place of hemp hearts keeping in mind hemp hearts provide a good dose of protein.
- Chia seeds - Flax or sesame seeds would be great alternatives.
For a complete list of ingredients see the recipe card below.
Optional Toppings for Protein Overnight Oats
The sky's the limit when it comes to toppings. The toppings you choose can also add additional protein to your overnight oats.
- chopped nuts
- seeds such as pumpkin or sunflower
- extra milk, coconut milk
- maple syrup, honey, brown sugar
- toasted coconut
- extra nut butter
- cottage cheese
- sprinkle on some of my Killer Grain & Seed Cereal
- go savoury with a poached or fried egg
Strawberry or Peaches and Cream - Add vanilla extract to the base recipe and top with strawberries or peaches and a splash of cream. Vanilla protein powder would also add some extra flavour and sweetness. Not to mention the extra boost protein.
Peanut Butter and Jam - Use peanut butter in the overnight oats base recipe and top with a small spoon of your favourite jam.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup - Add chocolate protein powder or cocoa powder to the base and top with a few sprinkles of chocolate chips. This one is perfect for the kids!
Extra Creamy - It's easy to turn these into creamy overnight oats by adding extra milk. You can easily double the amount used in this recipe.
🔪How to Make High Protein Overnight Oats
Step 1 - In a large enough bowl to hold all the ingredients add the oats, chia seeds, hemp hearts, and nut butter.
Step 2 - Add a splash of milk and stir. Adding a small amount first helps to combine everything before adding the rest.
Step 3 - Add the rest of the milk and stir well to combine everything.
Step 4 - Cover or transfer the mixture into an airtight container or glass jars and refrigerate overnight or up to 5 days. Serve warm, cold, or at room temperature topped with your favourite toppings.
For detailed instructions see the recipe card below.
Stir in a small amount of milk first to make it easier to combine all of the ingredients.
Use Rolled Oats for best results. They are also sometimes called Old Fashioned Oats or Flaked Oats. Quick oats can produce a mushy texture and Steel Cut oats can be chewy. However, if you add some extra milk and let them sit in the fridge a bit longer steel cut oats can also work.
Warm in the microwave in small increments stirring in between for best results when heating.
Overnight oats can be a great source of protein depending on the ingredients used. Adding additional ingredients like hemp hearts, nut butter, or a scoop of protein powder can increase the protein. As well as adding toppings such as Greek yogurt. This recipe has 10 grams of protein without the toppings.
Protein powder does not change when added to overnight oats.
Chia seeds create a creamy pudding like texture to your overnight oats. They also add extra fiber, protein and healthy fats. They are also flavourless when added to overnight oats so you get all the benefits without altering the taste.
The best kind of oats to use are rolled oats; also known as old fashioned, or rolled oats. They create the most desirable texture that isn't too soft or too chewy. Quick oats can result in a mushy texture and steel cut oats can be too chewy and hard.
You do not need to cook the oats before making overnight oats. Soaking them overnight will soften them into a creamy texture.
Want to say thank you?
More High Protein Breakfast Recipes
HIGH PROTEIN OVERNIGHT OATS
- ½ cup oats, rolled, old fashioned, or large flake
- ¾ cup dairy or non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoon nut or seed butter
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 2 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped nuts
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- extra milk
- unsweetened coconut
- In a glass jar or a bowl, combine oats, nut butter, chia seeds, and hemp hearts. Add a splash of the milk and mix everything together. Add in the rest of the milk and stir to combine.½ cup oats, rolled, old fashioned, or large flake, 2 tablespoon nut or seed butter, 1 tablespoon hemp hearts, 2 teaspoon chia seeds, ¾ cup dairy or non-dairy milk
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, or up to 5 days.
- Serve warm or cold. You can warm it up in the microwave. Heat in small increments, stirring often, until it’s the temperature you like.
- Top with any of your favourite toppings.