Enjoy this light, summer twist to a classic shakshuka! This Green shakshuka is packed with nutrient rich veggies, greens, and perfectly steam-poached eggs! Top it with some fresh herbs and feta cheese and you will be drooling. It's a super quick and easy one pot meal. A vegetarian dish perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Traditional shakshuka is a North African and Middle Eastern dish. It is basically eggs poached in a stewed mixture of tomatoes and bell peppers, onions, garlic and a few spices. This is a more "summery" version using a variety of fresh green vegetables.
What other greens can I use besides kale?
You can use any type of leafy green you like including spinach, collard greens, swiss chard and even cabbage! If using cabbage I would go with a softer one like napa or savoy and shred it instead of chopping.
What other vegetables can I use?
The greatest thing about this recipe is it's versatility. You can mix up the green vegetables as much as you like. Here is a list of some other options:
- broccoli, small pieces
- green pepper
- green peas
- green beans
- fresh herbs such as basil, parsley or mint
- edamame beans
- snow or snap peas
Can I make this Vegan?
Absolutely! Just replace the eggs with cubes of tofu, cooked chickpeas or any other type of beans or lentils and omit the cheese. Instead of cream you can use coconut milk or extra vegetable broth.
Other recipes you might enjoy
- Large cast iron or sauté pan
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only.
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, roughly chopped
- 4-6 cups chopped kale, stems removed and rinsed
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken stock or water
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, sliced crosswise
- 2 cups asparagus, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced or diced
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup half and half cream, yogurt, sour cream, or coconut milk
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 5-6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled or more to taste
- Fresh lime or lemon wedges, for garnish
- Trim root end and dark green tops of leeks. Cut in half lengthwise and rinse the sand out from between the layers. Slice thinly.
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients as indicated above.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add hot pepper flakes and leeks. Cook, stirring, until wilted. About 5 minutes
- Add garlic, kale, wine, and stock. Stir everything together and continue cooking for another 5 minutes or until kale is fully wilted.
- Add jalapeno peppers, zucchini and asparagus. Stir well and continue to cook for approximately 10 minutes or until the zucchini is soft.
- Add half and half and cilantro. Stir to combine.
- Make wells with the back of a spoon in the vegetable mixture, to hold the eggs. Crack eggs into wells. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover and turn heat down to low. Simmer for approximately 6 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Sprinkle with fresh dill and feta cheese. Serve immediately.
- Substitute cream with yogurt, sour cream, or coconut milk.
- Other vegetables you can use: broccoli, green pepper, green peas, edamame, green beans, snow peas, and other herbs such as parsley, basil or mint.
- Other greens you can use: spinach, collard greens, Swiss chard, Napa or savoy cabbage sliced thinly instead of chopped.