Oven Baked Eggs in Peppers are a perfect make-ahead individual breakfast for busy weekdays or an elegant brunch casserole for a crowd. It's an easy recipe with egg, ham, and cheese baked right in it's own bell pepper shell!
These stuffed peppers not only make a perfect breakfast but can also be enjoyed for lunch or dinner. Just like these Homemade Egg Bites, BLT Frittata, and Easy Baked Frittata recipes. If you are loving baked eggs you might also want to check out these Green Shakshuka and Traditional Shakshuka recipes.
Here's what you will need to make this recipe. For quantities see the recipe card below.
- bell peppers, any colour
- aged cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley, optional
🔪How to Make Oven Baked Eggs In Peppers
Cut the peppers in half from top to bottom and remove the seeds and core. Leave the stems on to maintain a better cup shape to hold the eggs. Place them in a skillet or baking dish cut side up and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake for about 10 minutes or until starting to soften. Meanwhile, prepare the other ingredients. Remove from oven and add the ham and eggs.
Top with cheese and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes depending on how you like your eggs cooked. Start checking at 10 minutes and check every minute or so after. The yolks can go from soft to hard quite quickly so if you like a soft yolk keep an eye on them. The timing will vary from oven to oven.
Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if using, and serve!
- Bell peppers - portabello mushrooms (gills removed), or tomato halves (seeds removed and hollowed out) would make great substitutes for the peppers.
- Ham - sub in bacon, proscuitto, sausage, left over ground meat, or any other type of cooked meat you like!
- Aged cheddar - use any of your favourite cheeses like Parmesan, Jack, or Swiss.
- Fresh parsley - this is optional but other herbs like cilantro or basil would also be delicious.
Make it vegetarian by omitting the ham and adding chopped baby spinach or sauteed mushrooms, lentils, tofu... Or just eggs and cheese!
Make it spicy by adding chopped hot peppers, chili flakes, or a couple dashes of your favourite hot sauce.
Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat gently in the microwave.
If you prefer a soft yolk keep an eye on these while baking and remember that they will continue to cook after removing from the oven. So best to err on the side of caution and remove them when they still seem slightly underdone. You can always pop them back in for a minute if necessary.
What to Serve with Baked Eggs in Peppers
If you are preparing these peppers for a brunch event you may be wondering what to serve with them. Here are a few ideas and if you are looking for more be sure to look through my Salads Category.
- Shaved Zucchini Salad
- Dill Pickle Chopped Salad
- Baked Zucchini Fritters
- Creamy Fennel and Cucumber Salad
Oven Baked Eggs In Peppers
- 3 medium bell peppers
- 6 large eggs
- ¾ cup ham, chopped
- ¾ cup aged cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- fresh parsley chopped, optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Cut peppers in half from top to bottom and remove seeds and core. Keep the stems intact to maintain a cup shape to hold the eggs. Place pepper halves, cut side up, in an 8 inch skillet or baking dish that holds the peppers. If any are tipping over, make a small slice on the skin side to give it a flat surface to sit on. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Remove peppers from oven. Add chopped ham to the bottom of each pepper. Crack an egg into each pepper then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with grated cheese and bake for another 10-15 minutes depending how you like your eggs cooked. Start checking after 10 minutes and every 1-2 minutes after that. The yolks can go from soft to hard quickly so if you prefer soft yolks keep a close eye on them.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley or cilantro if desired.