If you are on the fence about kale you must try this recipe for Sautéed Lemon Garlic Kale. It's quick, easy, and makes a perfect side dish for any of your favourite proteins. It's so delicious you won't even know it's good for you!
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this recipe.
- kale - I used a bag of chopped kale for convenience and removed the thicker stems
- olive oil
- broth (vegetable or chicken) or water
- fresh lemon juice
- white wine (optional)
- chili flakes (optional)
See recipe card for quantities.
Over medium-low heat sautè the garlic, cumin, and chili flakes in a large pan or pot for one minute. Add kale then pour in the stock and wine (or a combination of both, or water). Reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for 5 minutes or until the kale is tender. You can add more liquid to the pan if it is drying out before kale reaches desired doneness. Remove from heat and pour in fresh lemon juice. Be sure to taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
No fancy equipment is needed! If you are interested in checking out the pan used you can find it here: All-Clad Stainless Steel Sautè Pan (affiliate link).
- Kale - use any hearty green you like such as collards or Swiss chard
- Broth & white wine - you can use straight up water or a combination of any or all!
- Chili flakes - omit these if you don't want a kick
- Cumin - curry powder or smoked paprika would also work
Store in the refrigerator for several days. Reheat in a pan on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Remove the thicker tough stems from the kale before chopping. If using a bag of chopped kale you still want to go through the pieces and remove any large stems. They can be tough and woody.
Other recipes you might like to try
- Crispy Kale And Avocado Caesar Salad
- Braised Red Cabbage With Onions And Apple
- Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
- Roasted Salmon With Brown Butter Pickle Sauce
This post may contain affiliate links. If a purchase is made I receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your continued support.
Lemon Garlic Kale
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch dried chili flakes, optional
- ¾ cup chicken or vegetable stock or water
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 8 cups kale, chopped with thick stems removed
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- salt and pepper
- In a large sautè pan or pot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add garlic, cumin, and chili flakes if using. Cook, stirring for one minute.
- Add kale then pour in the stock and wine. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 5 minutes or until kale is tender. You can add more liquid to the pan if it is drying out before kale reaches desired doneness.
- Remove from heat and pour in fresh lemon juice. Stir well. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.