A classic late summer soup gets a revamp. This creamy corn and vegetable chowder is powered up with lots of veggies and replaces the traditional milk or cream with coconut milk so it's vegan! Make a big batch and store some in the freezer for when the snow flies. You won't regret it.
Corn chowder is a late summer favourite. This version is a step up with lots of extra veggies, coconut milk, fresh basil, cilantro and a touch of chili powder to brighten things up.
Ingredients you will need
- Corn...of course! - Fresh or frozen
- Onion - White, Spanish, Vidalia, or yellow onions.
- Red bell pepper - or any colour you like
- Jalapeno pepper - include the seeds if you want the heat!
- Zucchini - or summer squash
- Vegetable stock
- Coconut milk
- Oil for frying - I used coconut
- Chili powder
- Fresh basil
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper
How to remove corn kernels from the cob
When corn is in season there's nothing like it! Removing the kernals can be a bit messy but is always well worth it. Peel the husks into the sink or do it outside to make for easy clean up. Cut the cobs in half so you have a nice flat surface to stabilize it while cutting off the kernels. Cut as close to the core as possible to remove as much of the kernel as possible.
During corn season I like to buy an extra dozen, remove the kernels and freeze them so I have fresh tasting, sweet corn even in the dead of winter!
How to make this recipe
- Remove corn kernels from cobs and set aside.
- Chop the onion, carrot, celery, red and jalapeno peppers into a small dice.
- Chop cilantro and basil.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot and celery and saute until onion is soft.
- Add zucchini, red pepper, jalapenos, corn, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add stock and coconut milk. If you prefer a thicker soup add only part of the stock and add more after pureeing as needed.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Partially puree with a hand blender or remove 1-2 cups and blend in a blender or food processor. If you don't have a hand blender but are thinking of getting one this is the one I recommend - KitchenAid Immersion Blender
- Add fresh herbs and juice of one lime. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Also add more lime juice according to your own taste.
- The soup may seem thin but will thicken as it sits.
Optional additions and substitutions
- Hot sauce if you like it spicy.
- Leafy greens like chopped spinach, kale, chard or collards.
- Garnish with pickled jalapenos or chopped Chipotle peppers.
- Use milk or cream instead of coconut milk.
- Use chicken stock instead of veggie stock.
- Use frozen corn instead of fresh
How to store it?
This soup will keep in the fridge for one week. Store in the freezer for 6 months. Nothing beats warm, fresh tasting corn chowder on a cold winter day!
Subscribe to my newsletter to receive every new recipe, plus more, right in your inbox! Just click HERE to subscribe.
Other corn recipes for you to enjoy
- CORN SALAD WITH CREAMY DILL DRESSING
- GRILLED SHRIMP WITH COCONUT CREAMED CORN
- SUMMER SUCCOTASH
- MINI BELL PEPPER NACHOS WITH BLACK BEANS AND CORN
Creamy Corn and Vegetable Chowder
- Large pot
- Blender, hand held or regular or food processor
- 4 ears fresh corn or 4 cups frozen and thawed
- 1 large white onion, diced small
- 1 medium carrot, diced small
- 1 medium celery stalk, diced small
- 1 medium zucchini, diced small
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (avocado or olive works too)
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, or to taste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (400 ml/13.5oz)
- 1 lime juice of
- extra salt and pepper to taste
- Remove corn kernels from cobs. Set aside.
- Chop all the vegetables, garlic and herbs.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrot and celery. Saute for 7-8 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add corn, zucchini, red pepper, jalapeno, garlic, chili powder, salt, and pepper, Saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add stock and coconut milk. If you prefer a thicker soup, reserve 1 cup of stock and add later if necessary.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and partially puree with a hand blender or remove 2 cups and puree with a blender or food processor and add back to the pot.
- Stir in basil and cilantro and squeeze in lime juice. Taste and add more salt, pepper or lime juice as needed.
- The soup may seem thin but it will thicken as it sits. If you reserved a cup of stock you can add it in or leave it out.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to one week or in the freezer for 6 months.
- Garnish with pickled jalapenos and fresh cilantro.
- Add hot sauce to make it spicy.
- If using milk or cream instead of coconut milk add it at the end after you have taken it off the heat. If you boil the milk or cream (unless it's heavy cream) it can split.