This Thai Style Chicken Stir fry brings together all the bright flavours I love about Thai cuisine. It’s fresh, easy and very versatile. The spicy, sweet, and tangy sauce can be used with any variety of vegetables and protein you have on hand. It’s a quick and delicious meal any time of year!
This stir fry doesn't pretend to be authentic but I've brought together my favourite flavours of Thai cuisine into one easy stir fry. Cooked cucumber isn't something we see in the West but in Thailand, it's a staple in stir-fries and quite lovely. But if the idea turns you off don't fret...there are many other vegetables that can go into this dish. But I say "YOLO"! Just try it, you might just love it! You might also want to serve it with this refreshing Easy Thai Style Cucumber Salad as well!
Many vegetables work for this recipe including:
- Broccoli, cut into small florets
- Carrots, thinly sliced
- Zucchini or summer squash
- Green beans
Instead of chicken, you can use:
If you are interested in learning more about Tamarind Paste and how to make your own, check out my Tamarind Paste post and recipe. You can also substitute fresh lime juice if you can't find tamarind (see recipe).
What To Serve With Thai Style Chicken Stir Fry
- Steamed Jasmine rice
- Rice noodles
- Cauliflower rice
- Spiralized zucchini or squash noodles
How To Store It
This stir fry will keep for 4 days in the fridge and also freezes beautifully.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
- EASY SHRIMP STIR FRY WITH PAD THAI SAUCE
- THAI STYLE COCONUT CHICKEN SOUP
- BEEF AND BROCCOLI RABE STIR FRY
Thai Style Chicken Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste or 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice.
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
The Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoon oil coconut, avocado or grapeseed.
- ½ large white, red, or yellow onion. Diced or sliced.
- 3 red Thai chilis sliced thin.
- 10 cloves garlic, rough chopped.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 2 breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ yellow pepper, diced
- 4 cups Bok Choy roughly chopped.
- ½ English cucumber sliced in quarters lengthwise and cut into chunks.
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves sliced.
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped, plus more for garnish.
- Fresh lime wedges
- Green onion
- Roasted cashews or peanuts
- Chili pepper flakes
- Sriracha sauce
- Chili garlic sauce such as Sambal
- Mix together all the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- Heat the pan over high heat. Add oil, onion, chili pepper, and garlic. Stirring continuously.
- When the garlic is just starting to brown, add chicken. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until it starts to brown.
- Add peppers, Bok choy, cucumber and all the sauce. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add basil and cilantro. Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately garnished with fresh, cilantro and any of the other garnish options.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze for up to 3 months
- Substitute chicken for pork, beef, shrimp or tofu.
- Use store-bought Tamarind Paste or check out my post and recipe here: Tamarind Paste
- Use other vegetables you have or like such as: broccoli, carrots, celery, zucchini or summer squash, green beans, and mushrooms.
This recipe is incredible! Every recipe I have made here is beyond amazing. Andrea makes her recipes simple, classic, delish and always provided options if you don’t happen to have the ingredients on hand! I always come back to this site for the yummiest and healthiest choices!! Thank you Andrea!! 😀
I'm so happy you are enjoying the recipes Jules! Thank so much for the comment 🤗
Lisa Williams says
Omg I love this stir fry! I make it at least once every two weeks. I add sliced water chestnuts for a bit of crunch and the bok choy…. Yum! I can’t believe I am on my second bottle of fish sauce thanks to your recipes! You’re awesome girl!
That's amazing! 2 bottles of fish sauce is an accomplishment! 😆 So happy you are enjoying the recipes!
Janice Beam says
Wow! The flavour of this stir fry is amazing. At the last, I put fresh basil in my hubby’s portion and cilantro in mine. Perfect! We loved it!
Wendy Chan says
Looking forward to trying this recipe. I am not a big fan of cilantro. If I didn’t include it in the recipe, would it still taste good? Are there other alternatives?
Hi Wendy! You could add some extra basil or fresh mint or just simply leave out the cilantro. Hope you enjoy it!
Sharon Lamb says
I love that the ingredient amounts in your recipe will be automatically adjusted for serving size just by changing the number at the top! This is the first time I've seen this. Thank you! Making this recipe tonight!
I'm happy you are enjoying that feature! Let me know how you like the stir fry!
Made this tonight. 😋
Warning: very 🥵 and we love spicy food! Next time I will only use 1 Thai pepper.
Recipe is a keeper.
The heat of the peppers really can vary so sometimes needs to be adjusted. Happy you still enjoyed it!
Sandra Petel says
Hi Andrea can you suggest a substitution for fish sauce to make it vegan please? I would love to make it today with the group ☺️👌
You can omit the fish sauce and add an extra tbsp of soy sauce. Or if you have a mushroom soy sauce that is great too!
Sue Cratchley says
That’s for dinner tonight! Andrea I love your recipes.
Woohoo! Awesome!! Let me know how it turns out!