This is the best vegetarian version of a shepherd’s pie you’ll ever taste! It's hearty, packed with flavour, and protein-rich. The Cauliflower and Celery Root topping adds extra nutrition as well as flavour. Lentil Shepherd's Pie is a perfect addition to your meatless dinner menu ideas!
Why you will love this recipe
This dish is the ultimate plant based meal. Not only is it easy and healthy but it's also easy on the pocket book! You can make it ahead and either keep it in the fridge for 3 or 4 days before baking or freeze it for a fantastic dinner in a pinch!
- brown lentils
- vegetable stock/broth (low or no sodium)
- olive oil
- fresh garlic
- ground cumin
- all-purpose flour
- tomato paste
- red wine
- Worcestershire sauce
- frozen peas
- salt and pepper
- cauliflower & celery root puree
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Prepare the cauliflower and celery root puree. This can be made in advance and left, covered until you are ready to use it. Conveniently, it can also be prepared up to 3 days in advance.
- Next, sauté the onions and carrots until the onions are soft and glossy. Then, add the mushrooms and continue cooking until they start to soften. Add the cumin and salt.
- Add the tomato paste and sprinkle with flour. The tomato paste adds a richness and depth of flavour and the flour acts as a thickener. Stir everything together. The flour and tomato paste might start sticking to the bottom of the pan. Lower heat if it is starting to brown too much. Letting some brown bits form on the bottom of the pan is good as it will add more flavour to the finished pie.
- Pour in the wine, bring to a boil, and scrape up all those delicious brown bits that have started forming. Add the lentils here and stir to combine everything.
- Add the stock and Worcestershire sauce then bring it to a boil then lower the heat to a gentle simmer. Then, continue simmering until the lentils are tender. About 20-25 minutes. Check for doneness and continue cooking if necessary.
- Transfer the lentil mixture to a 9.5-Inch Deep Pie Plate or an 8x8 Baking Dish. Scoop several small piles of the cauliflower topping on top and spread evenly with the back of a spoon or an offset spatula.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if using. Place on a baking sheet to catch any drippings if it bubbles over the edge.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the filling is bubbling and the top starts forming a crust.
- Optional step - To get a nice brown top, turn the broiler to high and broil the top until golden brown. Be sure to keep a close eye on it so it doesn't burn.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Brown lentils - can be substituted with green lentils, Puy, or black beluga (cooking times may vary). Canned lentils can also be used. Rinse well and continue with the recipe as is.
- Mushrooms - you can simply omit them or bump up the other veggies already in the recipe. You can also add something else like corn instead.
- Vegetable stock or broth - Chicken stock can be used if not making it vegetarian/vegan.
- All-purpose flour - a gluten-free alternative can be used.
- Red wine - you can substitute with water or stock plus 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar.
- Worcestershire sauce - if making this pie vegan, use a vegan brand or substitute with soy sauce or tamari.
- Cauliflower and celery root puree - use an alternate like all cauliflower or classic mashed potatoes. Sweet potato puree would also be delicious!
- Parmesan cheese - For a vegan version, use a vegan alternative or sprinkle with nutritional yeast. Or just skip the topping altogether.
- If you aren't going to finish a bottle of wine that you open for cooking, freeze the remaining amount to use in future recipes.
- If the sauce isn't thick enough for you, mix cornstarch, 1 teaspoon at a time, into a small amount of water to dissolve. Stir into boiling lentil mixture to thicken. Add more if necessary to reach desired consistency.
More recipes you might like to try
- TEMPEH AND ROASTED CHICKPEA CURRY
- SMOKY LENTIL AND BACON SOUP
- WARM LENTIL SALAD WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES AND BACON
- CURRIED RED LENTIL SOUP
Lentil Shepherd's Pie
- 1 cup brown or green lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable stock/broth, low or no sodium
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 227 g /8 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 4-5 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup red wine
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed or frozen
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 recipe Cauliflower & Celery Root Puree
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the cauliflower and celery root puree. Reserve.1 recipe Cauliflower & Celery Root Puree
- In a large, deep, frying pan or pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onions start to soften and become glossy.2 tablespoon olive oil, 1 medium onion, diced, 1 medium carrot, diced
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking and stirring for another 5 mins. Add garlic, cumin and ½ teaspoon salt. Continue stirring and cooking for 2 minutes.227 g /8 oz mushrooms, chopped, 4-5 cloves fresh garlic, chopped, ½ teaspoon ground cumin, ½ teaspoon salt
- Add tomato paste and sprinkle with the flour. Stir until combined. Pour in the wine and scrape up any brown bits that have formed on the bottom. Add the rinsed lentils and stir. Add the peas and mix.1 cup brown or green lentils, rinsed, 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoon tomato paste, ¼ cup red wine, ½ cup frozen peas,
- Add the stock/broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until lentils are softened.4 cups vegetable stock/broth, low or no sodium, 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Transfer lentil mixture to a baking dish. Scoop the cauliflower and celery root puree on top and spread evenly. Top with Parmesan cheese if using. Place on a tray in case it bubbles over and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. If you want to brown the top, turn on the broiler and keep an eye on it until it’s browned to your liking.½ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (optional)