Easy, moist and delicious! This banana bread never fails and is a family favourite. Put this classic recipe in your back pocket to use up over ripe bananas.Jump to Recipe
Everyone needs a great Banana Bread recipe that's fast, easy and foolproof. This is the one! The best bananas are the ones just too ugly to eat (no offence bananas). The darker the skin the better. This ensures the biggest banana flavour bang and optimum sweetness.
If you have over ripe bananas that you don't have time to use up right away just toss them in the freezer right in their skins. You don't even have to wrap them. The skin acts as the packaging. When you want to use them, take out of the freezer the night before and let them defrost in a bowl on the counter. Then just cut of an end and squeeze out the banana. You will notice more liquid when you use previously frozen bananas. Use it all. It will just add extra moisture which is better right?
This recipe is a classic "wet and dry" method. All the wet ingredients, including the sugar, go in one bowl, all the dry in another, then mix them together and done!
The most important thing here is not to over mix. I use a whisk and add the dry into the wet in 2 additions. This helps prevent or reduce lumps of flour. Stop mixing when the dry ingredients are barely visible.
Add your favourite things to this classic banana bread recipe such as, toasted nuts, chocolate chips, or dried fruit.
Best Banana Bread
- 1 ½ cups mashed, over ripe banana 3-4 depending on size
- ¾ cup brown sugar light or dark
- ½ cup plain yogurt minimum 2% MF
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs, large
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter or spray a 9"x 5" loaf pan, set aside
- In a large bowl whisk together banana, brown sugar, yogurt, melted butter, eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet in 2 additions, mixing only until the dry is just incorporated. It's better to under-mix slightly then over-mix.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes. to 1 hour or until tester comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack.