Tex-Mex Black Bean Salad is simple, delicious and lasts for days! Perfect for packed lunches or a quick and easy dinner. Enjoy it on it's own or serve it as a side to your favourite grilled meat or tofu.
The thing I love about any type of bean salad is it's lasting power. In fact, I find that the longer it sits, the better it gets! Those beans just absorb all the yummy flavours of whatever dressing you've used. The veggies can start to lose their crunch but the flavour is still all there.
What you will need
- Black beans - use your own cooked from dry or canned. Be sure to rinse well if using canned beans! You could use any beans you like for this recipe but black beans are my favourite.
- Corn - can be thawed frozen corn or fresh from the cob.
- Bell pepper - any colour you like
- Jalapeno pepper - remove the seeds if you don't like things too spicy.
- Red onion
- Fresh cilantro - sub in parsley if you don't like cilantro
- Fresh garlic
- Avocado - optional for garnish
- Fresh lime wedges - optional garnish
For the dressing:
- Fresh lime juice
- White wine vinegar
- Avocado or olive oil
- Chili powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper
How to make it
It really is as simple as chopping up a few vegetables, mix up a dressing and then toss everything together! I don't add the avocado to the salad as it turns brown quickly. Instead I like to add it before serving. A squeeze of fresh lime juice give it a bit of extra zing!
- Rinse canned beans if using.
- Dice cucumber, bell pepper, jalapeno and red onion.
- Chop cilantro and garlic.
- Thaw corn if using frozen.
- Prepare dressing.
- Mix everything together until the dressing is thoroughly distributed.
- Garnish with avocado slices and lime wedges if desired.
Other recipes you might enjoy
Tex Mex Black Bean Salad with Chili Cumin and Lime Dressing
- 2 540 ml/19 oz cans black beans, 3 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced small
- 1 bell pepper, red, yellow or orange, diced small
- 1 cup English cucumber, diced small
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced small. Leave in seeds if you like more heat.
- 1 cup corn. Fresh of frozen and thawed
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- avocado slices for garnish
- fresh lime wedges for garnish
Chili Cumin Lime Dressing
- 4 tbsp lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup avocado or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- In a small bowl or jar mix together all the ingredients for the Chili Cumin Lime Dressing and set aside.
- Place beans in a large bowl and add all the prepared vegetables, (except avocado) garlic and herbs.
- Pour in the dressing and toss to coat.
- Salad will keep in the fridge for one week.