Classic Chewy Cocoa Brownies
These brownies are an all-time classic and family favourite. Crispy around the edges and chewy in the centre they are sure to check all the boxes for not only the most delicious brownies but also the easiest.
Servings: 16 small squares
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 lg eggs room temperature, see note above
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 2. Spray an 8"x 8" pan by with non-stick cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. 3. Bring an inch or 2 of water to a boil and turn down to simmer for your double boiler. Meanwhile, measure out your butter, both sugars and cocoa powder into a bowl that fits over your pot without touching the water.4. Place bowl over simmering water. Stir periodically until butter is melted.5. Meanwhile crack eggs into separate bowl large enough to whisk eggs vigorously.6. In another bowl measure out flour, baking powder, salt and espresso powder, Whisk to combine.7. When butter is melted remove bowl from pot and set aside to cool slightly. 8. Meanwhile whisk eggs for approximately 1 minute until light in colour.9. When chocolate mixture has cooled enough that you can hold your finger in the mix for 3-5 seconds, whisk in the eggs and continue whisking for another minute. 10. Sprinkle half the flour mixture over batter. Stir until combined. Sprinkle in remaining flour and continue to stir until flour is no longer visible. Pour into prepared pan11. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until top has puffed up and then settled back down. Over baking will create a less chewy texture.