Chicken & Spaghetti Squash Soup
A hearty and delicious soup that's easy to prepare. The spaghetti squash act like noodles but with more flavour!
Servings: 8 to 10 servings
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, white or yellow, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, optional, sliced or diced
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken.
- 6 cups baby arugula or spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
Rub insides and cut edges with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Place cut side down on a parchment or foil lined tray and bake for 50 minutes. While the squash is baking you can prepare the rest of the soup.
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.
Add onion, carrots and celery and sauté for approximately 6 minutes or until starting to soften.
Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally for another 6 mins.
Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
Add chicken and arugula or spinach (if your squash is done you can add it here) and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
When the squash is done remove from the oven, flip over and scrape out the flesh with a fork. Add to the soup pot.
Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Soup will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for 5 days or in the freezer for 6 months.
- If you don't have cooked chicken on hand you can cook the chicken right in the soup. Just dice it up and add it in at step # 4 and simmer for 10 minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients.