Braised Red Cabbage with Onions and Apple
An easy and delicious side dish to go along with your favourite winter meals.
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 head red cabbage, small to medium. Cored, quartered, and thinly sliced
- 1 large white onion. Cut in half and thinly sliced.
- 1 large apple. Quartered, cored and thinly sliced. Or grated.
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Apple cider.
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot or pan with fitted lid, heat butter or oil over medium heat.
Add onions and apple and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until onions are soft and translucent.
Add cabbage, vinegar and apple cider. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and continue simmering for 40 to 50 minutes or until desired texture is reached.
Cabbage will last in the fridge for one week.