Kale and Avocado Caesar Salad
A delicious and nutritious twist on Caesar salad that's can also be made Vegan!
Servings: 8 as a side
- 2 containers baby kale, one for chips, one to use fresh
- 3 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for dressing
For the dressing
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 1 medium clove of garlic
- ½ cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated, plus more for finishing
- ½-1 piece anchovy or ¼ teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon capers, add extra if omitting anchovy
- 5 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 lemon, juice of, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds, unsalted
- ¼ cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- Parmesan shavings for garnish, optional
- Lemon wedges for garnish, optional
Avocado Caesar Dressing
While the kale is roasting prepare the dressing.
Scoop the avocado into a blender, food processor, or the hand blender container. Add all other dressing ingredients. Blend until smooth. Add a water 1 tbsp. at a time if it's too thick until desired consistency is reached.
Assembling the Salad
In a large bowl, toss together the fresh baby kale, all of the dressing, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, sunflower seeds and all but a handful of the cooled, roasted kale. Keep some for garnishing the top.
Serve immediately with lemon wedges, if desired.
- Dressing can be made 3 days in advance. Press plastic wrap to touch surface of dressing, while storing in the fridge, to avoid oxidization of the avocado.
- Roasted kale chips can be made several days in advance and stored at room temperature in a covered container
- Salad should be served immediately to avoid kale chips from becoming soft. Or assemble no more then 1 hour in advance leaving out the crispy kale until just before serving.
- Avocado Caesar dressing can be used on any of your favourite greens or as a dip!