Thai Meatballs In Red Curry Peanut Sauce
Smothered in a rich and flavourful red curry, coconut, peanut sauce these fast and easy Thai Meatballs will leave you feeling warm and cozy.
Servings: 6 servings, 35 meatballs
- 900g/2lbs ground pork, turkey, chicken or a combination
- ½ cup fresh basil, finely chopped, reserve ¼ cup for sauce
- 2 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped, plus ½ cup whole leaves for sauce
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste, plus more for sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus more for sauce
- 2 teaspoon fish sauce, plus more for sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, plus more for sauce
Red Curry Peanut Sauce
- ¼ cup Thai red curry paste
- 2 cans coconut milk (400 ml/14 oz cans)
- ¾ cup roasted, unsalted, peanuts ground or finely chopped
- 2 lime leaves (optional) or grated zest of one lime
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
Prepare the meatballs
Preheat the oven to 450°F
In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the meatballs and mix gently with your hands or a spoon.
Shape into approximately 1 tablespoon sized balls and arrange on a parchment lined tray.
Bake in oven for 10 minutes or fry in batches in a skillet until browned. If oven baked they won't brown as much but you can cook them all at once to save time.
Red Curry Peanut Sauce
While the meatballs are baking or frying start the sauce by adding the red curry paste to a large saucepan or saute pan heated over medium-high heat. Stir and fry for one minute.
Add both cans of coconut milk, peanuts, baked or fried meat balls, and lime leaves, if using, or grated lime zest. Bring to a boil then turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce is thickened slightly.
Add the stock, brown sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, peas and red pepper slices. Let simmer 5 more minutes.
Remove from heat and add reserved basil and cilantro leaves. Serve with Jasmine rice or noodles of your choice and fresh lime wedges.
- Meatballs in their sauce can be refrigerated for 3 days and frozen for up to 3 months. You can also freeze it along with the rice for a complete meal ready to be defrosted and reheated.
- You can use ground chicken or turkey instead of the pork or a combination of pork with chicken or turkey.