Taco Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Servings: 2 to 4 servings
- 1 medium to large spaghetti squash, approx. 1 kg or 2 lbs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, any colour, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 500 g (1 lb) ground turkey
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2-1 cup pepper jack cheese, or any cheese of your liking
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp hot paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 small tomato, chopped.
- 2-3 green onions, finely sliced
- more fresh cilantro
- fresh lime wedges
- sour cream
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon
Rub insides and cut edges with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper
Place cut side down on a parchment or foil lined tray and bake for 50 minutes.
Remove from oven, flip over and scrape the flesh with a fork to loosen slightly
For the filling
While the squash is baking, mix all the taco seasonings together in a bowl and set aside
Then heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add both peppers and cook for another 2-3 minutes
Add turkey and taco seasoning. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until turkey is cooked through. Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup chopped cilantro. Stir to combine.
Set aside until the squash is ready.
Divide the turkey mixture between the squash halves. Pile it up or, if there's too much, keep it to use in a salad, a taco bowl or wrapped in a tortilla.
Top with the cheese and bake for another 10 minutes.
Garnish with any toppings. Serve one half per person or cut each half in half and serve with a side salad.
- Depending on the size of your squash you may have some turkey filling left over. Save it to have with a salad or in a wrap the next day.
- I used Pepper Jack cheese for these but any cheese you like does the trick!
- Store in the fridge, covered, for up to 3 days. Reheat in a preheated 350°F oven for 20-30 minutes. Or in the microwave until warm. Times will vary.