Brussels Sprouts Slaw With Bacon And Apple
Freshen up a holiday meal with this easy, make-ahead salad.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tsp honey
- 1 tsp salt, Kosher
- freshly ground black pepper
- 24-26 medium Brussels sprouts, outer leaves and stems trimmed
- 1 small-medium shallot
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1 small apple
- 2-3 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for shavings
to make the vinaigrette
In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, Dijon, honey, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Add the shallots and stir. Let stand while you prepare the rest of the salad.
For the salad
Cook the bacon and let cool. Break into small pieces.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place pecans on a tray and bake for 6 minutes. Let cool and chop.
Thinly slice the Brussels sprouts with a mandolin or knife, leaving out any hard stem ends. If any whole leaves fall off add them to the salad without slicing. Rinse well and drain. Place in a large bowl. Chop the apple into small pieces.
Add the bacon, pecans, apple, grated Parmesan and all the vinaigrette to the Brussles sprouts. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Let stand for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours before serving. Pour into a serving dish and top with shavings of Parmesan cheese.
- Salad can be made up to 24 hours in advanced with the vinaigrette mixed in. If making ahead leave pecans to add before serving.
- All salad components can be made 3 days in advance excluding the apple which should be cut just before final mixing.