Curried Red Lentil Soup
Curried Red Lentil Soup is flavourful, hearty and nutritious. It's easy to make and has been a family favourite for many years. Even your kids will love it!
Servings: 12 1 cup servings
- 1 lg white onion. approx. 2 cups diced small
- 1 lg celery stalk. approx. 1 cup diced small
- 1 jumbo carrot, approx. 1.5 cups diced small
- 1 sm sweet potato, approx 2 cups diced small
- 2-3 cloves garlic, approx. 1 tbsp minced
- 8 cups baby spinach leaves, or greens of your choice
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 400 ml can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro or parsley leaves. chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
Peel, rinse, chop and measure out all your ingredients first.In a large pot heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes or until soft and translucent. Turn down the heat if they are browning before softening.
Add the celery, carrot, sweet potato, lentils and garlic, stir to combine. Add curry powder and salt and continue stirring for one minute.
Stir in stock and coconut milk. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer. covered, for 15 minutes.
Stir in spinach. It will seem like a lot but it wilts and reduces as it cooks. Cover and simmer for 5 more minutes.
Remove from heat and add lemon juice and cilantro or parsley. Taste and adjust seasonings. You can also add a bit more stock or water if it's too thick for your liking.